Looking for some suggestions...

Graham1992

Member (SA)
Mar 19, 2019
Hey there, so I’ve been browsing this forum for a while now and I’m interested in purchasing a Bluetooth boombox, but I need some help. I’m from the UK and all I have really come across online is the GPO Brooklyn Boombox and a bumpboxx. I’m willing to spend up to around £400 and looking for something really loud with nice bass, and I don’t think the GPO can provide that from some reviews I’ve watched and read. Features like CD player, cassette deck, radio aren’t nessesary as I would 99% of the time use my music from my phone to play but the retro features are still cool in my opinion. I like the diamond box but it is just a little out of my price range. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Try using specific search terms inn eBay(UK), I've come across at least one supplier of retro BB's with Bluetooth technology he fits himself. Although his BB's may not be the cheapest but they are fully functional so there's no servicing or repairs needed and, I would expect, he may advertise elsewhere. It'll be good if you could post the results of your efforts. :yes:

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
I bought an old boombox and had a tech dude install a bluetooth thingamabob in it. I can play whatever music I want on it via bluetooth now.

Personally, i'd look for a Hitachi 3D80/ 88 (I love their look and their sound) and mod it to play bluetooth.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I’ve had both you mentioned. The GPO is a good effort at looking like a vintage box but it’s a little disappointing. I gave mine away. The Bumpboxx is frickin huge and is incredibly loud and bassy. Not the best made thing and people round here hate the company as they crapped all over several good members here but I use mine a lot. Best of both is to Bluetooth mod a proper vintage box, I’ve done several :-)

Graham1992

Member (SA)
Mar 19, 2019
neanderthal said:
I bought an old boombox and had a tech dude install a bluetooth thingamabob in it. I can play whatever music I want on it via bluetooth now.

Personally, i'd look for a Hitachi 3D80/ 88 (I love their look and their sound) and mod it to play bluetooth.
Does this guy have an eBay account or website where I could contact him?

Northerner said:
I’ve had both you mentioned. The GPO is a good effort at looking like a vintage box but it’s a little disappointing. I gave mine away. The Bumpboxx is frickin huge and is incredibly loud and bassy. Not the best made thing and people round here hate the company as they crapped all over several good members here but I use mine a lot. Best of both is to Bluetooth mod a proper vintage box, I’ve done several :-)
Do you mod boombox’s as a job? I would pay if you had an eBay account or something selling modded boombox’s? I really don’t wanna fork out 400-500 pound on a bumpboxx freestyle but that is all there really is on the market that I can find that’s loud and bassy. I would buy the flare 8 if it was available in Europe but no such luck!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Do I mod boomboxes as a job? Not quite no. I work for Citizens Advice. I’ve restored and sold many many boxes tho and mostly through eBay. Ive also Bluetooth modded a fair few too. I’ve currently got 50+ boxes in the pile to restore and sell but I’m struggling for time to do them at the moment as I’m trying to move house. Once moved I’ll crack on with them tho.

To be honest it’s not that hard to Bluetooth mod a box. You should have a go.