Nearly 10 years in the making.....FINALLY

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hello to all my friends here on Boomboxery. As the title of this thread states, it has taken me nearly 10 years of collecting to finally achieve this radio. My path to this point couldn't be any more documented, but I wanted to take a second to thank everyone on this site and especially Boomboxery member Katsa for making this a reality....

M90 a.jpg
M90 b.jpg
M90 c.jpg
M90 d.jpg
M90 e.jpg

It is a huge feeling of both excitement and relief to have this box in the collection, because to be completely honest with you, I just didn't think it was ever going to happen. When I first started collecting, as is now, radios like the C100 and M90 were, in comparison to other radios, priced in the stratosphere, even for 10 years ago. I used to think "man, I am never gonna spend that kind of money". As most of you know, my strategy has always been, find a wreck and build a dream out of it. 90% of my collection has been built that way. I have had a few opportunities to acquire basket case M90's but they were still priced half way to 1k just like parts boxes are. So, I just came to the conclusion that an M90 may never be in my collection and if that was the case, that's OK too. At well past 80 radios in my collection, I have had or currently own some of the greatest Blasters ever made. But in the back of my mind....well, you know.

Then back in January of this year Katsa listed some boxes here on Boomboxery which included this M90. I was surprised it wasn't (to my knowledge) jumped on by the community. I PM'd him and we worked towards making the deal.

I have to say, James (Katsa) is an absolute PRO at packing and shipping radios. It is the complete text book way to do it safely. That is, saran wrap the radio, wrap the radio in two layers of large bubble wrap, place it in a heavy gauge cardboard box, seal the box, place that box in another heavy gauge cardboard box that is surrounded by foam peanuts.

About this radio...

This radio arrived, as described, powering up, receiving FM, loud and proud. A little dusty on the function switch and with the typical dead deck. The exterior was slightly dusty, but a real survivor. My plan for the box is to give it a light cleaning, repair the deck and leave it as a nice survivor example as opposed to attempting to do a full blown restoration, concours "de elegance". I think as it is, it's a 7 out of 10 and with the deck working a solid 8. Not back considering it's age.

Again, a HUGE thank you to James, I really appreciate all your efforts in working with me on this deal and the hard work you put into shipping it.

DSCN4661.JPG

Top: Clairtone 7979, bottom JVC RC-M90

20190301_133757.jpg

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
That's awesome you were able to get the M90! I purchased the M70's Katsa had up for sale in that same listing, and he did a phenomenal job of packaging them up and making sure they arrived safely.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks for the kind words guys. Still pretty floored with it. Working now to revive the deck.

1986GLH said:
That's awesome you were able to get the M90! I purchased the M70's Katsa had up for sale in that same listing, and he did a phenomenal job of packaging them up and making sure they arrived safely.
I wish he ran a boombox shipping company! Then all of our radios would arrive safely.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
As most of you know, my strategy has always been, find a wreck and build a dream out of it. 90% of my collection has been built that way
You and I have the exact same strategy. We use the gift we were given to repair these ourselves along with the help of the forum for parts when needed. It allows us to be able to obtain these special radios without having to take on another job. Also, fixing and building up the radio gets you more acquainted with it. It's like my motorcycles and cars. There is more of a bond when you know the ins and outs of the machine.

Congratulations on your M90. They are most certainly the top tier in the collecting world for sure. Just finished charging a new batch of Tenergy 10,000mAh rechargeable Ds. I know which box I'm going to put them in :-)

The elite M90 club is growing :gathering:

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Chris, well pleased for you, your a legend and should have a legendary radio! She looks great, the combo pic with the Claritone is so nice :)

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Your patience finally paid off :-) It looks to be in GREAT shape. I have also bought a few boxes from James, the latest was his SHARP 909 and I agree with you 100% about his packing skills for shipping. His packaging is rock solid, just like him, CONGRATS CHRIS! And welcome to the M90 club!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thank you everyone. As always in this hobby / forum, half the fun of getting a radio is sharing it with the collector community.

And thank you again James, I really appreciate it.

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
I love this kind of posts! :-)
After a long wait Chris and Katsa made it happen.
It surely worth it even if you had to wait for 10 years.
Patience always pays off.
Congratulations for both of you. :-D