Realistic SCR-8 freshened up (14-778).

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Hey guys.
This is my first post and I figured I'd share a couple pics of my first boombox makeover.
I bought this in decent condition but as is the problem with most of these, the cassette player wasn't working and it also had a power problem.
With the cassette player, I found a plastic piece that holds the spring that pushes the head up was cracked.
I reapaired that and put three new belts on and that was back in working order.
To cure the power problem (there was only about 3.5v), I removed and cleaned the power switch then greased it.
I cleaned/washed all of the plastic parts, grilles, buttons and knobs.
I cleaned and lubed all of the electronic controls.
I cleaned the old gunk out of all the cassette player gears.
I thought the look of this box was a little plain so I sprayed the four speaker grilles satin black.
For more accent, I hand painted the spaces between the chrome slats in the mic grilles black.
Finally, I added some green lighting for nightime use.
I pulled power off of the power switch so they can come on and go off with it.
I also included a very small rocker switch under the power cord receptacle so they can be independently turned on and off so they don't have to be on all of the time.
All said and done, I absolutely love this thing.
It not only looks better than I thought it would but it sounds better too.
These aren't the best pics but let me know what you think.

Attachments

MAT

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2019
impressive! I wish i had a little electrical knowledge. I may have to go in at the deep end.

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
great work - i like how all those small changes really work well together - like it was meant to be. just the right touch, not too much.

enjoy it!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Wow! Not too many members make such a remarkable first post. I have to say, the little touches you added to the SCR-8 should have been standard back in the day.

Welcome aboard!

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.
Mat, the internet is very helpful.
I didn't know how involved adding three little LED lights would be but I learned as I went.
I had to reduce the box DC voltage from around 18v down to 2.5v to get the LEDs at the brightness I wanted.
I'm pretty knowledgeable about residential electrical wiring and some of it crosses over but electronics is a lot more involved.
Here's a pic of the switch I installed for the LEDs.

Attachments

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Fantastic first post mate.

The SCR8 is one of my all time favourite boxes and the refurb you have done is really inspiring me to grab mine and give it some love.
Im just not sure where it is :hmmm:

Btw, the lights are epic.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Now, that box is a bit of a cutie if ever I saw one. :yes: The light in the deck is a brilliant idea and works incredibly well and, as for the mains switch addition on the back: this should be standard in my opinion. Well done, great work and..................(of course)....................Welcome to the forum! :rock:

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Lol, I saw the deck light on another box somewhere on line and ripped the idea off.
Thanks again for the kind words.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Superduper said:
.......as for the mains switch addition on the back: this should be standard in my opinion.....
I think that switch isn’t for the mains, rather is used to turn the added lights on and off.
Yes, that's for the lights only but it'd be easy to add one as a power/kill switch.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Excellent indeed. The designer of this radio knew what people wanted in a box back in the day. A string of red LEDs on the front that reaches further than any I've seen. Bling all the way :-) The green lightning adds icing on the cake.

A great looking box.