Silver ST W66 a strange boombox

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Ever since i saw a Silver ST W66 i wanted one.
It s a very strange looking boombox and i m convinced its a pretty rare one
because there are not many around. I had the chance to get one 2 days ago.
Here it is :

IMG_20190309_160601.jpg

IMG_20190309_160729.jpg

It has 2 fat speaker rings and a proper line in . In my eyes its a pretty boombox.
Like someone pimped it but thats clearly not the case. :-)

Now what i m wondering is why it has this odd chromed part
before the main speakers on both sides ?
Shouldnt be a twitter there ?
Like lets say in the Sony CFS -77 for example, among others.
There arent any twitters though. Instead of a twitter it has
a Led Sound indicator
(Right above its speakers) like in a Lasonic L-30 .

Other models from Silver which are using the same shell .

ie Silver STW55

DSCF1225.jpg

OR the more common TV Boombox Silver SVT45

SILVER SVT 45.jpg

and the Rare (also a TV Boombox) Silver SVT46

Silver_SVT_46L_retro_boombox_tv.jpg

They all have twitters above their main speakers but as you can see the
SVT 46 has the same configuration.
So whats the use for this chrome part ?
Anyway i wanted to share those thoughts and most of all share this beauty for all to see. :-D

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hi there Deech, it appears to my eyes that these speakers are coaxial or possibly even triaxial. So in order for them to fit in this common speaker box.Common to all four models you have pictured. They had to fit a chrome depth "ring" so that the coax unit would fit. Otherwise the woofer grill would be too close,in other words it needs to be set further back from said grill. So its a spacer.😃

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Reli what i mean is that all other models have proper twitters. The STW66 doesnt have any. Instead it has Sound Led Indicator where all others have twitters. Just above the main woofer. Ralrein whats the use of a chromed spacer when a twitter speaker is not present on both the svt46 and the stw66 by default? I opened the box and it has just a plain speaker. Not coaxial or triaxial. Is the chromed spacer there for the end user to add something on his own?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
It's just for styling. Or maybe they were considering to build an upgraded model with tweeters. I think it looks cool.

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Deech.............I don't know what to tell you guy. The pictures you posted have a rectangular unit between the woofer and the grill. That appears to have a midrange and a tweeter. That rectangular unit also appears on the SVT46. Thee other two(2) models STW55 and SVT45 have just regular woofers with chrome dust caps. So............that chrome ring has to be there for the extra thickness of that unit on your new box as well as the SVT46.😃😃😃

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Maybe it is for that extra thickness, maybe it has no purpose at all and its just for styling . Who knows?
Only the person who engineered it knows. Maybe all of the above. We can only guess.
The thing is that it looks nice.

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
It kind of looks like a Conion C-100 miniature was cut off on the sides and the Silver ate it and you can see the parts in his belly? ;-)

1982 cce boombox

May 11, 2021
BRAZIL
yes, it has two, it records stereo, it is better built than any LASONIC, but it is a little limited to the size of the speakers (only 4 inches) and the size, its acoustics is a little compromised ... I also think they could have placed real tweers, his are fake ... both tape deck are 100% made of metal, do not give problems, unless the belt needs to be changed ...