Boomboxery being updated?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It has been almost seven years since the forum has been updated - both in appearance and software. Maybe it's time to think of updating the place. I've been testing some different forum packages, and I'm really liking Xenforo so far.

From a member perspective, I think it is much better than the current forum experience, and the possibilities for add-ons are much greater since the current forum package isn't really supported any longer.

If all goes well, we might have an updated home in the near future.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It could happen this weekend - most likely on Sunday. Boomboxery would be down for a few hours beginning around 13:00 UTC.

I will know for certain by Friday and make an announcement if it's a go.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I like the current forum. For me it's pretty easy to navigate compared to others.

But the consensus seems to be the one you're looking at is really good. Go for it.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
trippy1313 said:
I like the current forum. For me it's pretty easy to navigate compared to others.
It's a good thing you like it. You might be seeing it for a really long time. :lol:

After spending several days testing, re-testing, and reloading, it has been determined that the forum will not be updating to Xenforo. There were several issues that were encountered during the conversion process - two of the big ones were passwords not working and users being limited to square avatars. It would have been an admin nightmare when hundreds of members try to sign in only to have their accounts locked after three attempts when their passwords didn't work. Everyone would have to use the "Forgotten Password" process to get in.

Then there is the square avatar. Boomboxes are not square - they are rectangular. Everyone's current avatar was auto-cropped to be square. Even the avatar upload form forced a square avatar.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Fatdog said:
It's a good thing you like it. You might be seeing it for a really long time. :lol:

After spending several days testing, re-testing, and reloading, it has been determined that the forum will not be updating to Xenforo. There were several issues that were encountered during the conversion process - two of the big ones were passwords not working and users being limited to square avatars. It would have been an admin nightmare when hundreds of members try to sign in only to have their accounts locked after three attempts when their passwords didn't work. Everyone would have to use the "Forgotten Password" process to get in.

Then there is the square avatar. Boomboxes are not square - they are rectangular. Everyone's current avatar was auto-cropped to be square. Even the avatar upload form forced a square avatar.
OH GAWD! I can't go hours! :bang: :sadno: :catfight: :ls-duel: :grim: :dots: :judge: :thumbsdown:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Just to remind everyone-we have a 10 year anniversary coming up here within a month or so!!😊😎🎶🎼📻🎂🍰