• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

I have a non working RR 3000 in like new cosmetic condition and looking for a Grundig RR3000 for internal parts. 

Basically my idea is to swap internal parts and make mine in working condition.I am happy if the radio section is working.

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

That sucks, did ne not tell the truth?

#3 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

That sucks, did ne not tell the truth?

Reli, Seller was the best.... It was my mistake! .... I had high hopes!

I thought I can fix it. 

The best laptop box to have! 

I might make it work..... but no high hopes... Love the looks and size!

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

Make sure to replace the tuner light if it's out.  It looks nice!

#5 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

Make sure to replace the tuner light if it's out.  It looks nice!

Cosmetically it is 98% there with no scratches or any flaws. Lights all work fine! AM works so also SW, but the sound cuts off intermittently. Sometimes the sound stay on without turning on and off but when I increase the volume, it will start cutting off. 

FM was not changing stations when I move the dial. On the left bottom a few presets were working with FM indicator. 

I went to the back part and there were like 6 adjusting knobs, turned it a few times and now lost all the FM stations. I think I messed up those adjustments. You can see those small knob at the rear lower right corner in the picture. 

I did a good switch cleaning including the long record bar switch. 

Will look for any bad connections on the PC board.

It was a nightmare to remove the PC board. It had tiny hidden screws way deep inside the PC board. 

Attached Files

#6 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

Yeah that's like the one I had.....it's a great-looking box!

To adjust the presets, you need to press one of those 6 buttons and then turn the corresponding adjuster on the back until you get the station you want.  If that's not working, there's a problem with the preset board.  It's usually a separate board.  I've had issues with other boxes with that kind of setup, like Sencors and Clairtones.  Manual presets are just not as reliable as digital presets.

#7 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

Nice looking box but I prefer the RR1140 because its symmetrical & has frequency display but while the size is ideal, it feels like it’s heavier than an M90.

The symptoms sure sounds like some dirty switches or connections involved and maybe more than 1 issue. Cutting off with volume adjustment is also a classic symptom of poor connectivity, could be pot or switches, or connections or caps, or failing regulators etc.

#8 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

Yeah that's like the one I had.....it's a great-looking box!

To adjust the presets, you need to press one of those 6 buttons and then turn the corresponding adjuster on the back until you get the station you want.  If that's not working, there's a problem with the preset board.  It's usually a separate board.  I've had issues with other boxes with that kind of setup, like Sencors and Clairtones.  Manual presets are just not as reliable as digital presets.

Thanks so much Reli!

I had no clue what to do with it. One of the knob is broken and it is pushed in, off the tracks and goes upward. 

The others are okay. 

Now I have no reception on FM at all. Before, it worked with the preset buttons. 

Nice looking box but I prefer the RR1140 because its symmetrical & has frequency display but while the size is ideal, it feels like it’s heavier than an M90.

The symptoms sure sounds like some dirty switches or connections involved and maybe more than 1 issue. Cutting off with volume adjustment is also a classic symptom of poor connectivity, could be pot or switches, or connections or caps, or failing regulators etc.

Thanks Norm!

I did a good cleaning of all switches. Didn't squirt Deoxit in the volume pot or other pots. 

It is a very light weight box with great looks. Let me see if I get lucky with more cleaning.

Cassette part I am not touching. I already saw plastic gears broken and falling in the box. There is no response on any of the transport buttons. 

~Royce

#9 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

On the RR series, at least 1 of the gears are made of the soft gooey amber colored material that all falls apart after about 10-20 years.  I haven't even tried it on my 2 RR1140's (one silver, one brown) but maybe when I get around to it, I might beg Caution for help to draw up a sketch so they can be 3D printed.  I tried creating gears before on the CAD program but didn't have much luck.

Check your PM.  I have something that might help you in the restoration.

#10 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

On the RR series, at least 1 of the gears are made of the soft gooey amber colored material that all falls apart after about 10-20 years.  I haven't even tried it on my 2 RR1140's (one silver, one brown) but maybe when I get around to it, I might beg Caution for help to draw up a sketch so they can be 3D printed.  I tried creating gears before on the CAD program but didn't have much luck.

Check your PM.  I have something that might help you in the restoration.

Hi Norm, Thanks so much!

You are right! I got chunks of those amber colored gears from the box. The whole deck area has no life.

~Royce

#11 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, if you can fish out enough of the chunks, I might be able to draw a new one

#12 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

If the deck has no response at all, it's a bigger issue than just a gear.  That deck is very similar to the one on the Party Center 2000 which still responds even if the gear is cracked.  You can make the heads go up and down, and the spindles will move for a couple seconds before shutting down.

#13 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

If the deck has no response at all, it's a bigger issue than just a gear.  That deck is very similar to the one on the Party Center 2000 which still responds even if the gear is cracked.  You can make the heads go up and down, and the spindles will move for a couple seconds before shutting down.

No response to any of the deck drive switches at all. 

I will be happy if I can get the radio section working well. Very light and beautiful unit. 

#14 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

If the deck has no response at all, it's a bigger issue than just a gear. That deck is very similar to the one on the Party Center 2000 which still responds even if the gear is cracked. You can make the heads go up and down, and the spindles will move for a couple seconds before shutting down.

Wait, are you sure? Can you confirm (Royce) if that deck looks like a mechanically simple but 2-3 motor deck? Because the units shape is more like the other RR units and the party center looks like a much deeper 3-pc unit.

#15 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

If the deck has no response at all, it's a bigger issue than just a gear. That deck is very similar to the one on the Party Center 2000 which still responds even if the gear is cracked. You can make the heads go up and down, and the spindles will move for a couple seconds before shutting down.

Wait, are you sure? Can you confirm (Royce) if that deck looks like a mechanically simple but 2-3 motor deck? Because the units shape is more like the other RR units and the party center looks like a much deeper 3-pc unit.

Hi Norm, Let me  look for pictures I took. When I saw the gear pieces inside the box I was kind of upset and gave up on the deck repair and mainly focused on what I can save from the radio part. ~Royce

#16 Sonic

Sonic
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

I saw replacement gears for RR's on ebay. I have rr2000 fully functional. Like it.

#17 Alpha Mike

Alpha Mike
  • Members (SA)
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSI

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

Hey where are you from? I saw an add in my country. (Slovenia) Dude has som old radios. He sells rr3000 for 140euros.