Another Little Generic Personal Stereo Saved!

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
This little guy bowled in as part of the mornings post today!

A generic very early 80's player this time sporting the somewhat dubious Binatone Emblem!

I must confess I felt sorry for this poor neglected stero & for £5 including postage, I took the plunger & here it is!!

Very grubby & encrusted with years of dirt & grime I wondered had I jumped over the gun buying this rather unusual player - Furthermore, after firing it up! Quack Quack Quack Quack Quaaaaack!! I was greeted with virtually no reel movement in rewind, forward was sort of working & play was just like a slug :(

I also noticed that there was no audio getting to the little Pcb nor was there any life from the ubiquitous "Talk Line" feature so I was a bit down in the heart & not warming to the little machine :(

Time to investigate: The belt was an interesting shape & was completely fooked :D A replacement soon got the tape transport working well in all modes :O

An easy enough fix there...........

Next, time to attach the "Straw" to a new can of Serviceoil & clean clean clean every switch & the volume sliders with some cotton buds soaked in servisol.......The volume sliders were gunked up & the dirtiest I've seen in a long time & the same with the orange "Talk Line" button linked to an electret microphone at the front!

In fact this switch was seized, I just hadn't realised it until looking inside the player!

Now, normally I would have just laughed at the very name Binatone, but I saw straight away that this was built in the era when even budget machines had more than half a chance of being quite good or indeed very good - I loved this short couple of years & have fond memories of many generics that were built to last just like this little guy!

Time to power up while apart & test him out!

"All Trumpets!!" Full operation restored & acceptable & balanced stereo sound once again filled my headphones not unlike the day it was opened by it's proud new owner!!

Oh, & the "Talk Line" now worked faultlessly too :p

All that was left to do was clean up the various parts of the casing before reassembling the little Binatone & listening to it as it happily worked in all modes just as it should!!

A nice little reminder of those golden days - & another true survivor from a now bygone age............

Et Voila:

Before Restore (1).jpg
Before Restore (2).jpg
Before Restore (3).jpg
Before Restore (4).jpg
Before Restore (5).jpg
Before Restore (6).jpg
Before Restore (7).jpg
Before Restore (8).jpg
Restore (1).jpg
Restore (2).jpg
Restore (3).jpg
Restore (4).jpg
Restore (5).jpg
Restore (6).jpg
Restore (7).jpg
Restore (8).jpg
Restored (1).jpg
Restored (2).jpg
Restored (3).jpg

https://youtu.be/bUAj6O0yyok

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
ahh...Binatone! hilariously bad name Bin-No-Tone :lol: takes me back... I'm inspired though by your writings Nic - just had a good browse on Ebay! If you put all your restorations in a book form i would probably buy it y'know. Educational & fun. Great for me as I'm just starting out on restoration road. This whole site is amazing of course. Will there be a 10 year birthday bash i wonder?