Photo

Another Little Generic Personal Stereo Saved!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nickeccles

Nickeccles
  • Members (SA)
  • 624 posts
  • LocationLittlehampton West Sussex

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

This little guy bowled in as part of the mornings post today!

A generic very early 80's player this time sporting the somewhat dubious Binatone Emblem!

I must confess I felt sorry for this poor neglected stero & for £5 including postage, I took the plunger & here it is!!

Very grubby & encrusted with years of dirt & grime I wondered had I jumped over the gun buying this rather unusual player - Furthermore, after firing it up! Quack Quack Quack Quack Quaaaaack!! I was greeted with virtually no reel movement in rewind, forward was sort of working & play was just like a slug :(

I also noticed that there was no audio getting to the little Pcb nor was there any life from the ubiquitous "Talk Line" feature so I was a bit down in the heart & not warming to the little machine :(

Time to investigate: The belt was an interesting shape & was completely fooked :D A replacement soon got the tape transport working well in all modes :O

An easy enough fix there...........

Next, time to attach the "Straw" to a new can of Serviceoil & clean clean clean every switch & the volume sliders with some cotton buds soaked in servisol.......The volume sliders were gunked up & the dirtiest I've seen in a long time & the same with the orange "Talk Line" button linked to an electret microphone at the front!

In fact this switch was seized, I just hadn't realised it until looking inside the player!

Now, normally I would have just laughed at the very name Binatone, but I saw straight away that this was built in the era when even budget machines had more than half a chance of being quite good or indeed very good - I loved this short couple of years & have fond memories of many generics that were built to last just like this little guy!

Time to power up while apart & test him out!

"All Trumpets!!" Full operation restored & acceptable & balanced stereo sound once again filled my headphones not unlike the day it was opened by it's proud new owner!!

Oh, & the "Talk Line" now worked faultlessly too :P

All that was left to do was clean up the various parts of the casing before reassembling the little Binatone & listening to it as it happily worked in all modes just as it should!!

A nice little reminder of those golden days - & another true survivor from a now bygone age............

Et Voila:

Attached File  Before Restore (1).jpg   86.17K   3 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (2).jpg   59.76K   6 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (3).jpg   51.85K   6 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (4).jpg   96.38K   4 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (5).jpg   79.66K   2 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (6).jpg   60.05K   4 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (7).jpg   65.07K   4 downloads
Attached File  Before Restore (8).jpg   102.46K   2 downloads
Attached File  Restore (1).jpg   147.74K   4 downloads
Attached File  Restore (2).jpg   147.96K   4 downloads
Attached File  Restore (3).jpg   146.77K   4 downloads
Attached File  Restore (4).jpg   122.96K   3 downloads
Attached File  Restore (5).jpg   155.41K   5 downloads
Attached File  Restore (6).jpg   166.57K   3 downloads
Attached File  Restore (7).jpg   140.33K   3 downloads
Attached File  Restore (8).jpg   97.41K   4 downloads
Attached File  Restored (1).jpg   96.94K   4 downloads
Attached File  Restored (2).jpg   89.13K   5 downloads
Attached File  Restored (3).jpg   48.56K   3 downloads

#2 Brutus442

Brutus442
  • Members (SA)
  • 811 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:38 PM

always loved your break down and repair stories Nick!  Keep'em coming!

#3 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:06 AM

way to go lad, now get it sent to me lol...i need something mickey mouse in my collection :-D

#4 thinkchronicity

thinkchronicity
  • Members (SA)
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

ahh...Binatone! hilariously bad name Bin-No-Tone :lol: takes me back...  I'm inspired though by your writings Nic - just had a good browse on Ebay! If you put all your restorations in a book form i would probably buy it y'know. Educational & fun. Great for me as I'm just starting out on restoration road. This whole site is amazing of course. Will there be a 10 year birthday bash i wonder?

#5 TechnicsDan82

TechnicsDan82
  • Members (SA)
  • 104 posts
  • Locationwales cardigan

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:53 AM

that is cool fairplay nick i like them binatone tape players

#6 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

very cool Nick. The world needs more folks to save devices like this.