Antenna / Aerial Quesion

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
What techniques have any of you used that restored your radios telescoping antenna/aerials to a smooth like new operation?

I have tried a light lubricant with teflon. That works for a little while but then they start losing that smooth retractable and telescoping feeling. They start feeling grabby.

My antennas work and they are not kinked or bent but I would like for them to feel like new again.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Use singer machine oil or light oil, 3 in one oil. Extend the antenna all the way, and apply it on the sides of the telescoping sections. Then push it all the way in gently holding each section one at a time, now excess oil will flow out, use a soft cloth and remove it. Now pull it out all the way and wipe off oil with dirt on the sides of it. This is how you clean the sections.

Push it in and out several times gently taking good care, wipe off any debris that is on the sections blended with oil. Repeat this process several times, i would say 5 times. Now the telescoping section is all clean with light oil inside for lubrication. Remember there are small copper fins that grab on to each section and slide on the outer cover of each section to stop it from dislodging and pulling off. Be gentle when you pull it all the way out, or else that section with the copper leaf stoppers will fall out. It will be a real challenge to push it back in. Have I done it? Yes, but not a pleasant experience though.

This method of cleaning always gave excellent results.

All my antennas are smoooooooth with this kind of oil treatment. :-D :yes:

~Royce

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
#000 or #00 grade steel wool, totally dry..........then wipe it off with a dry cloth. That's all. Works like a charm, gets rid of all corrosion without damaging the chrome, makes it really smooth, and doesn't leave any residue that could attract dust.

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
When I'm having an issue with an antenna/aerial I'll usually just grab a ball pein hammer and smash the $hite out of it until it falls off and voila, problem solved! :lol:

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Thanks all :-)

Just so happens I have both oil and 000 steel wool.

I also have a hammer but I hope it doesn't come to that...lol

ny935

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2019
Great ideas! Any suggestion on loosening a stuck antennae? My Conion tc999 the middle section only moves two inches. The final section cones out easy. Already tried 3 in 1 oil

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
ny935 said:
Great ideas! Any suggestion on loosening a stuck antennae? My Conion tc999 the middle section only moves two inches. The final section cones out easy. Already tried 3 in 1 oil
Steel wool makes everything smooth and like new. But it sounds like you might have a crushed or dented segment.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I am happy to report that the steel wool and aluminum foil trick worked wonders. Not sure if any of the oil I had previously used played a factor but they are silky smooth in operation now :-)

Many thanks to all. Never would've thought about steel wool or aluminum foil. Great ideas :yes:

ny935

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2019
Hi Deli. That's what I thought. But when closed it looks straight. And when the final section comes out, it comes out easy and also looks straight. I'll try some foil on the part that comes out and work it back and forth. Can't hurt.

ny935

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2019
Guys, I have used foil on the chrome speaker rings of my Conion tc999 that are green and crusty. I tried it on some of the straight areas and it cleaned it right up. Some light pitting is visible but now it at least it shines.
I wet smooth piece of aluminum foil and just gently rubbed. It somehow reacts and forms a paste then just wipe the corrosion of.