• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:09 AM

Hey guys. I thought I'd introduce myself since I've done quite a lot of research on this great site. I'm 48 & have lived in North Carolina my whole life. About a year ago I bought a cool telefunken tube radio/record player in a very mid century cabinet. That led me to just looking at any & all vintage radios for sale. I bought a couple of other small tube and transistors radios, then it just hit me that I need to add a decent boombox since I was a pre/teen in the 80's. That led me to looking on my local craigslist where I saw a JVC PC-55. I had already discovered Boomboxery & when I searched the interwebs about the JVC there was all sorts of info on Boomboxery. I really was looking for a one piece box but after the research, I knew the PC-55 was somewhat desirable & very much worth the $40 the seller was asking (lol!). I also knew that I had seen the same seller selling serviced vintage home audio equipment & had a feeling the marantz cassette player my brother gave me would intice him into a trade. I offered it up, he took the trade. Got that heavy beauty home, cleaned it and was amazed by how new it looked. Then I pumped it up, made some adjustments.......and was hooked.

Then it was on to the quest for a one piece. Found an old add on offer up with a lasonic trc931 for sale. Messaged seller, two months....no response. After the two months I randomly sent him an offer and he responded. It took me another 2 months of hounding him and sending pictures of cash to entice him to get it out of storage. He finally relented and told me he had another one called a helix. I did my research on Boomboxery again and figured go for both. He finally got them out of storage and stated they wouldn't work and that he'd take A LOT less than he originally wanted. I had to drive an hour and then sit for an hour in a chic-filet parking lot because he had a flat on the way. It was a lot of work but worth it considering what I paid. He pulls the first one out and it's not the lasonic or a helix but a big electro-brand. It looked huge and pretty nice. I was already happy and said man that's big. He laughed and said,"that's nothing" and pulls a helix hx4700 out. I couldn't believe how huge it was, almost a caricature of a boombox. I happily paid and drove the hour home smiling. Got home spent a few minutes fiddling with them and within minutes had both kinda working. They were filthy and after a good cleanup they looked a lot better.

That's just the first few I picked up. I won't keep rambling with my stories of how I found the others but Boomboxery and it's great members helped educate me a lot along the way even if I did just lurk & search in the background. I look forward to posting more and taking full advantage of all the experts here when I start digging into doing more repairs. 

Here's a few pics.

IMG_0507_zpsqnhqrx3m.jpg

IMG_0468_zpssjuakpva.jpg

edited-image_zpscm4rmpts.png

IMG_0465_zps8ntqdayg.jpg

IMG_0463_zpstq14g3ne.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsvbpiwgnc.jpg

IMG_0445_zpssszqypw6.jpg

IMG_0429_zps6jt4dqps.jpg

Edited by gapjr, 16 February 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#2 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

Welcome! I like the effort you put into snagging local offerings, makes it so much more satisfying and you avoid the hassles of shipping.

If you want to attach a file, click the button at the bottom of the window labeled "more reply options" and then you should see an "Attach Files" section under the text editor window.

#3 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:39 AM

We love to hear these stories of good surprises :-)

#4 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

Welcome! I like the effort you put into snagging local offerings, makes it so much more satisfying and you avoid the hassles of shipping.

If you want to attach a file, click the button at the bottom of the window labeled "more reply options" and then you should see an "Attach Files" section under the text editor window.

Yep, I love the hunt. 

Thanks, figured out a way to post pics.

We love to hear these stories of good surprises :-)

Yep, half the fun of this site for me has been reading stories about chasing down "grails". I hope to have more stories soon!

#5 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts
  • LocationEast Mesa Arizona Witness Protection Program

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:33 AM

Welcome! I am a year older than you but it's funny how we revert to things we saw when we were young. I guess 'cause we can now afford that stuff!

Here's my moms Grundig Locarno. These pics are from before I cleaned it up and got it working. It sounds great too!

46999055221_1c633e1ec0_k.jpgIMG_9786 by , on Flickr

#6 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

Oooooohhhh!,,,,I like your Grundig. Looks a lot like my Telefunken. I have a couple. The German tube radios from that era sound awesome!

#7 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,594 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

Welcome! Used to live in NC too.

#8 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

Welcome! Used to live in NC too.

Thank you sir. Love it here.

I appreciate that I'm getting welcoming responses from guys here I already recognize from lurking for guidance while buying my first few boomboxes.

#9 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,594 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

That Sears box in your avatar, do you own one?  Those sound very good.

#10 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Yep, it's mine, looks mint too. Lost the tuning knob in shipping though  :bang:

103313617162623c3_zpsefzr5bsv.jpg[/URL]

82770917162623c3_zpsx1ufpdjv.jpg

#11 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts
  • LocationEast Mesa Arizona Witness Protection Program

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Oooooohhhh!,,,,I like your Grundig. Looks a lot like my Telefunken. I have a couple. The German tube radios from that era sound awesome!

My quest has been to source out a genuine stereo-5 decoder. I don't think it receives stereo despite its incredible sound. The record player does play in stereo. That pic above is before I stripped it down and cleaned it. Unfortunately the original speakers were shot from age/nicotine so I replaced them with Alpines. I still have the originals.

#12 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

Both mine still need a little love but man, they sure are beautiful and sound great.

IMG_0091_zpstkn9thcn.jpg

#13 goodman

goodman
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,869 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

:hi: to forum and congrats for this collection!

#14 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:08 AM

:hi: to forum and congrats for this collection!

Thanks goodman. I lurked and researched on here for almost 8 months so I figured it was time to start posting. 

#15 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

I lurked and researched on here for almost 8 months so I figured it was time to start posting.

Glad you did! That's quite a collection you've started - especially that Helix and the Sanyo mini.  :cool: :drool:

#16 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

I lurked and researched on here for almost 8 months so I figured it was time to start posting.

Glad you did! That's quite a collection you've started - especially that Helix and the Sanyo mini.  :cool: :drool:

Thanks Fatdog, that means a lot coming from you. I have a few others I'm going to post pics of soon. 

#17 Styleking

Styleking
  • Members (SA)
  • 868 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Welcome and congrats on a great start to your collecting!

#18 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Welcome and congrats on a great start to your collecting!

Thanks Styleking. I've only posted a few that I have and will post up some others soon. I was even fortunate enough to pick up a "grail" already but I'm reluctant to post it yet. I did pay up (at least for me) for that one, but think I did okay. It needs work and parts are expensive so only time will tell.

I know compared to some of the guys here I only have a few but I'm trying to be selective about which ones I buy. Like any new collector I want to buy every one I see in my price range but I try not to do that. I try to find things locally but the bug has bit me so I've even bought an ebay box or two. I can't wait to gain access to the for sale section here. 

#19 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,174 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Welcome! You have the rare black model! I bought my PC-55JW silver one new in 1985 for $599.00! Still have it and love it!!πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŠπŸ“»πŸŽΆπŸŽΌ

#20 gapjr

gapjr
  • Members (SA)
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

Welcome! You have the rare black model! I bought my PC-55JW silver one new in 1985 for $599.00! Still have it and love it!!

:agree:  It's heavy like a tank and probably the best sounding/loudest in my small collection so far.