Newbie from North Carolina

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys. I thought I'd introduce myself since I've done quite a lot of research on this great site. I'm 48 & have lived in North Carolina my whole life. About a year ago I bought a cool telefunken tube radio/record player in a very mid century cabinet. That led me to just looking at any & all vintage radios for sale. I bought a couple of other small tube and transistors radios, then it just hit me that I need to add a decent boombox since I was a pre/teen in the 80's. That led me to looking on my local craigslist where I saw a JVC PC-55. I had already discovered Boomboxery & when I searched the interwebs about the JVC there was all sorts of info on Boomboxery. I really was looking for a one piece box but after the research, I knew the PC-55 was somewhat desirable & very much worth the $40 the seller was asking (lol!). I also knew that I had seen the same seller selling serviced vintage home audio equipment & had a feeling the marantz cassette player my brother gave me would intice him into a trade. I offered it up, he took the trade. Got that heavy beauty home, cleaned it and was amazed by how new it looked. Then I pumped it up, made some adjustments.......and was hooked.

Then it was on to the quest for a one piece. Found an old add on offer up with a lasonic trc931 for sale. Messaged seller, two months....no response. After the two months I randomly sent him an offer and he responded. It took me another 2 months of hounding him and sending pictures of cash to entice him to get it out of storage. He finally relented and told me he had another one called a helix. I did my research on Boomboxery again and figured go for both. He finally got them out of storage and stated they wouldn't work and that he'd take A LOT less than he originally wanted. I had to drive an hour and then sit for an hour in a chic-filet parking lot because he had a flat on the way. It was a lot of work but worth it considering what I paid. He pulls the first one out and it's not the lasonic or a helix but a big electro-brand. It looked huge and pretty nice. I was already happy and said man that's big. He laughed and said,"that's nothing" and pulls a helix hx4700 out. I couldn't believe how huge it was, almost a caricature of a boombox. I happily paid and drove the hour home smiling. Got home spent a few minutes fiddling with them and within minutes had both kinda working. They were filthy and after a good cleanup they looked a lot better.

That's just the first few I picked up. I won't keep rambling with my stories of how I found the others but Boomboxery and it's great members helped educate me a lot along the way even if I did just lurk & search in the background. I look forward to posting more and taking full advantage of all the experts here when I start digging into doing more repairs.

Here's a few pics.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Welcome! I like the effort you put into snagging local offerings, makes it so much more satisfying and you avoid the hassles of shipping.

If you want to attach a file, click the button at the bottom of the window labeled "more reply options" and then you should see an "Attach Files" section under the text editor window.

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
caution said:
Welcome! I like the effort you put into snagging local offerings, makes it so much more satisfying and you avoid the hassles of shipping.

If you want to attach a file, click the button at the bottom of the window labeled "more reply options" and then you should see an "Attach Files" section under the text editor window.
Yep, I love the hunt.
Thanks, figured out a way to post pics.

Northerner said:
We love to hear these stories of good surprises :-)
Yep, half the fun of this site for me has been reading stories about chasing down "grails". I hope to have more stories soon!

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oooooohhhh!,,,,I like your Grundig. Looks a lot like my Telefunken. I have a couple. The German tube radios from that era sound awesome!

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Reli said:
Welcome! Used to live in NC too.
Thank you sir. Love it here.

I appreciate that I'm getting welcoming responses from guys here I already recognize from lurking for guidance while buying my first few boomboxes.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
That Sears box in your avatar, do you own one? Those sound very good.

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
gapjr said:
Oooooohhhh!,,,,I like your Grundig. Looks a lot like my Telefunken. I have a couple. The German tube radios from that era sound awesome!
My quest has been to source out a genuine stereo-5 decoder. I don't think it receives stereo despite its incredible sound. The record player does play in stereo. That pic above is before I stripped it down and cleaned it. Unfortunately the original speakers were shot from age/nicotine so I replaced them with Alpines. I still have the originals.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
gapjr said:
I lurked and researched on here for almost 8 months so I figured it was time to start posting.
Glad you did! That's quite a collection you've started - especially that Helix and the Sanyo mini. :cool: :drool:

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Fatdog said:
I lurked and researched on here for almost 8 months so I figured it was time to start posting.
Glad you did! That's quite a collection you've started - especially that Helix and the Sanyo mini. :cool: :drool:
Thanks Fatdog, that means a lot coming from you. I have a few others I'm going to post pics of soon.

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Styleking said:
Welcome and congrats on a great start to your collecting!
Thanks Styleking. I've only posted a few that I have and will post up some others soon. I was even fortunate enough to pick up a "grail" already but I'm reluctant to post it yet. I did pay up (at least for me) for that one, but think I did okay. It needs work and parts are expensive so only time will tell.

I know compared to some of the guys here I only have a few but I'm trying to be selective about which ones I buy. Like any new collector I want to buy every one I see in my price range but I try not to do that. I try to find things locally but the bug has bit me so I've even bought an ebay box or two. I can't wait to gain access to the for sale section here.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Welcome! You have the rare black model! I bought my PC-55JW silver one new in 1985 for $599.00! Still have it and love it!!😎😊📻🎶🎼

gapjr

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Ghettoboom767 said:
Welcome! You have the rare black model! I bought my PC-55JW silver one new in 1985 for $599.00! Still have it and love it!!
:agree: It's heavy like a tank and probably the best sounding/loudest in my small collection so far.