Tons of problems with Fisher cr-w225

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone. I recently got a Fisher CR-W225. And I face a lot of problems with it. The belts was melted up and needed replacement. The motor from deck B has died and it does not turn on anymore. The mute rec switch (button in the front panel) is broken(see the pics). I also have no sound coming out from the amplifier. The volume peek meters does not even work when I use line in from pc.
The only sound I was able to hear last time before the motor died was a grrrr motor sound from the speakers. Nothing else.

So okay. I have a few other brand new motors (Mabuchi 530AD-2b) for replacement. But those motors can only take 2 cables. The old dead motors has 4 cables. Will the 530AD-2b work as a replacement motor?
Can anyone help me finding a switch for the mute rec button?

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
The only thing I can think of is that your original motor with 4 wires has to do with your tape decks high speed dubbing. I don’t think you can just drop in a single speed motor without losing the high speed capability. Not sure you can test with a meter and see what voltages you get from the power board to the original motor. See if you can get a schematic on the Internet. I think that would help you.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
MesaAZGuy said:
The only thing I can think of is that your original motor with 4 wires has to do with your tape decks high speed dubbing. I don’t think you can just drop in a single speed motor without losing the high speed capability. Not sure you can test with a meter and see what voltages you get from the power board to the original motor. See if you can get a schematic on the Internet. I think that would help you.
Am okay on losing the high speed capability. On a real time normal speed will the 530AD-2B work?

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
I do not know. You would have to see what voltage it runs on and try it out. Also you would need to know which output on your board would provide the voltage needed for "normal" speed. With these radios its all trial and error. Having said that, be careful not to do more damage to the circuits.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Are you sure the motor is dead and not a supply issue? 4-wire motors are frequently available on eBay. Just look up the part number and search. You'll be suprised what you can find. However, since you also need the switch, you are going to have to find out how how many poles/throws is the switch. Just asking for a switch for an obscure model (which is doubtful that anyone here is going to have) isn't likely to be fruitful. Those cassette decks run from $3.99 to 10 bucks at goodwills. And on certain days or senior/student discounts, etc. you might be able to get even cheaper. Find a used one and just cannibalize it for parts.

Or if you ask member Caution here, he might have what you need since he is a one man electronics chop shop. I suggest you be more specific though. Nobody is going to want take the time to do the research on the switch or motor part number which you need but which you have right in front of you.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Looks like this one has a dead AMP and I had a short circuit so now its totally dead. Anyway I will look up on getting another one :p