Aiwa AD-F600 Tape deck no sound (Bad caps?) Pls help!

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone. I had a new (used) tape deck out of a good deal. But there is no sound coming out of my speakers at all.
The belts are bad and the tape does not move at all but it does rewind and ffw. I hit the record button that was suppose to be the line in one with a tape inside, I play a song from my pc, the record light indicator goes red. But I still have no sound.
I found this one the inside:
Are those capacitors bad? cause there is some kind of leak.

Please help!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Does the deck have a "Tape Monitor" switch? Do you have the deck connected directly to speakers or to an amp/receiver?

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
I have a speaker directly added. I have tried many speakers.

And there is no recording monitor switch. If I press down the record button the lcd shows up there is a volume input!

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
I have connected the tape deck to my computer line in and I can hear the heavy hiss sound coming out of the tape. Once I switch to dolby c or b I can hear the hiss is getting reduced. Unfortunatley I have no second rca cable to use it as Input. I will inform you guys tomorrow as soon as I get one. So I guess the tape deck has to connect to amplifier.

MesaAZGuy said:
I can't tell by the pic, but is the little black IC chip cracked?
Thats a leftover from the melted drive belt.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
You cannot connect speakers directly to a tape deck. The deck has to be connected to an amp/receiver.

However, you can try the headphone jack if you have a set with a 1/4" plug.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
I have loud and clear sound output from the tapedeck after connecting it up with a sound amplifier. thanks @fatdog and @MesaAzGuy !

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boomboxholic said:
I have loud and clear sound output from the tapedeck after connecting it up with a sound amplifier. thanks @fatdog and @MesaAzGuy !
Sweet!! :cool: :cool: :thumbsup:

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
MesaAZGuy said:
Did you use a separate amplifier or does the one in the radio work? Thanks for the update!
I have used an double rca converter cable to normal headphone jack and I connected the tape deck's sound output to a car audio system (powered with a 12 volt power adapter) into AUX mode.
The car audio system has its own amplifier.

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
That’s great. Are you going to get the on board amp figured out? I’m not sure if those capacitors leaked if the board sits verticle. If it sits flat, the. Maybe those caps are bad. I would think there’s more than just those two caps needing attention.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
MesaAZGuy said:
That’s great. Are you going to get the on board amp figured out? I’m not sure if those capacitors leaked if the board sits verticle. If it sits flat, the. Maybe those caps are bad. I would think there’s more than just those two caps needing attention.
I don't plan to do anything with those caps at the moment. I will replace the belts on the tape deck and soon if I face any issue I will look on those caps. Thanks!

Hajidub

Member (SA)
May 16, 2018
Colorado Springs
Best bet is to replace the belts first. Next is to connect it properly, 2 sets of rca's (to create the tape loop). Clean the tapepath with iso alcohol, including the capstan and rollers. Wouldn't hurt to download a service/owners manual off of hifiengine.com

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Hajidub said:
Best bet is to replace the belts first. Next is to connect it properly, 2 sets of rca's (to create the tape loop). Clean the tapepath with iso alcohol, including the capstan and rollers. Wouldn't hurt to download a service/owners manual off of hifiengine.com
Yes. I have ordered a brand new belt kit, and maybe I'll replace the pinch roller too if its bad. I already have 2 RCA set one one that goes on the amplifier and another set of RCA goes on the sound input of the deck. Thanks about the alcohol part, I'll try it out! I already love the sound of that thing!

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
I checked on the inside about cleaning up the tape head and I saw this...
Will alcohol clear all this staff out of the tape head?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Doubtful. I have a couple heads like this. Removing all that pitting on the housing means grinding down the surface farther than what the pickups in the center can handle without damage.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
You could replace it, but the only other deck with that same exact head is the F410. Using a different head won't work because they are all different sizes/heights, and have different electrical/magnetic properties that won't be correct for your deck.

You could try resurfacing it, but the oxidation looks too deep for that. You can't remove much from the surface of the poles in the middle without damaging it. You might as well pick an easier battle with another deck of similar caliber with better heads, from online ads or local thrift stores.