Hey from the UK

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
Morning all

Usual scenario I guess, 45 year old bloke looking to start to collect boomboxes to add to my already everything retro stuff hahaha

Looking for something like a Helix, or Lasonic , or something that looks like its from BEAT STREET or BREAKDANCE lol

Any other suggestions of Radios ?

Thanks all

Stephen

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Hi Stephen. Welcome to the forum from the North (of the UK). Soooo many to choose from! Sounds like you like the flashy ones tho...lots of good ones, a few shite ones lol, just need to choose with care.

What else do you collect?...many of us collect a few things

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
errrmmmm , retro games consoles, and game watches, I collect retro cars haha , got a lovely Renault 5 gt turbo !

All gadgets really , Ive been in IT for 25 years, so I do love my gadgets, I collect anything shiny with buttons and a screen hahaha

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Stephen! You will find a lot of inspiration here for your soon-to-be out-of-control boombox collection. :lol:

lupogtiboy

Member (SA)
Aug 31, 2018
Surrey UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have very similar interests to you, I also have wayyyyy to many games consoles and other retro tech, but I love it!

Cool Renault 5 by the way, don't see many now. I have a 2003 VW Lupo GTI that I'm keeping forever!

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
hahaha, thank you , yea, the GT Turbos seem to be getting thin on the ground, I was always a VW man, had a few Golf's mk1's and mk2's, and a vr6 mk3, had a coupld of Corrado's , I do love em !

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Nice car the R5, always liked em. Might be worth returning it to stock now as prices rise....

On the box subject, for big black boxes look at maybe A Promax Super Jumbo J1 as they are reasonably common in Europe, a Lasonic TRC931 are also good but dont travel well and havecussues always. For a nice silver box maybe a Crown csc850 or a Jvc m70, both easy to find and sound great.

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
T-STER said:
Nice car the R5, always liked em. Might be worth returning it to stock now as prices rise....

On the box subject, for big black boxes look at maybe A Promax Super Jumbo J1 as they are reasonably common in Europe, a Lasonic TRC931 are also good but dont travel well and havecussues always. For a nice silver box maybe a Crown csc850 or a Jvc m70, both easy to find and sound great.
That's fantastic, thank you very much, I will check those out, I have about half the money saved so far, so I need to sell a few more bits and pieces to get the rest

Watch this space :yes:

Tried to search for the promax, cant find any even in completed listings lol, even under the tecsonic heading lol

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Love the J1...it’s the quintessential big and flashy boomer. Sound great too. Some of the big black boxes sound a bit crappy but the J1 is awesome. Love that bling

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Ah now that’s the hard bit! All the ones Tre mentioned are great boxes, so they’re in demand, just need to keep checking the usual places and keep your fingers crossed.

I’ve got all four of those mentioned so they can be found. In fact I’ve got two M70’s (nope the spares not for sale), and four 850’s but I’ve got a lot of work to do on the three extra ones before they’re saleable and I’m too busy to do them at the moment sadly