Boombox Magazine Issue 8

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
[SIZE=18pt]In issue 8 of Boombox Magazine:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]NOW AVAILABLE at www.BoomboxMagazine.comhttp://www.boomboxmagazine.com/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]On the Cover:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The Egyptian Lover tells one of the most important stories in the history of the Boombox. In detail, he explains how his very first recordings and break out tracks were created using a boombox and step by step how his equipment has evolved. This is truly one of the most incredible stories we have ever heard. This electro / Hip Hop pioneer goes into details never before told and only available in Boombox Magazine![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Class and Style:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The amazing photography of eRecto of SickStar.net along with a full interview. His masterful blend of style along with the incorporation of the iconic Boombox bring style and class to every page.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Up from the Ashes:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] How the Boombox defies death while other technologies are destined to the landfill never to be seen again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Boombox in the City:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Full coverage of a social experiment known as “Boombox in the City” as told by Samovar. How two college professors at two separate universities in southern Italy taught the social importance of the Boombox.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The international Boombox collecting world:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] From Brazil to Las Vegas, from Germany to Vietnam and from England to Sicily. Boombox collecting has evolved from small groups of enthusiasts to a worldwide phenomenon and Boombox Magazine is at the epicenter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Seeing Red:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The full story behind the red Sharp GF-919’s built by an art studio in Russia to celebrate their 40th anniversary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Blasters in the Wild:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Gianna Hernandez is featured with her Lasonic TRC-975 garage sale find.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Keepin' it real:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Ode to the 1990’s construction worker. (dedicated to JVCFloyd)[/SIZE]

If you have never bought an issue of Boombox Magazine and have always been on the fence, then this is the issue you should check out. This is, far and away our best issue ever. Our best art work and content.

The Egyptian Lover story is in his words. Not an interview, just him telling one of the most spectacular stories we have ever heard about how he cut his first mix tapes using a boombox and exactly how he did it.

Boombox Magazine Issue 8 - The Egyptian Lover.jpg

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
When I started making music back in 1984 we would use a boombox's dual cassette decks to make what we called a "layered" sound. Essentially it was a precursor to us using a 4 track recorder to produce our music. Sounds like a great article and issue Chris!

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Boom! This is getting better every issue, will be copping this for sure.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Styleking said:
When I started making music back in 1984 we would use a boombox's dual cassette decks to make what we called a "layered" sound. Essentially it was a precursor to us using a 4 track recorder to produce our music. Sounds like a great article and issue Chris!
I remember people doing this. As a Rocker, I used to sing with the tracks. I hope I burned those tapes :lol:

T-STER said:
Boom! This is getting better every issue, will be copping this for sure.
Thanks T. I feel this is our best effort yet. I think your really gonna enjoy it

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
[SIZE=18pt]In issue 8 of Boombox Magazine:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]NOW AVAILABLE at www.BoomboxMagazine.comhttp://www.boomboxmagazine.com/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]On the Cover:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The Egyptian Lover tells one of the most important stories in the history of the Boombox. In detail, he explains how his very first recordings and break out tracks were created using a boombox and step by step how his equipment has evolved. This is truly one of the most incredible stories we have ever heard. This electro / Hip Hop pioneer goes into details never before told and only available in Boombox Magazine![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Class and Style:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The amazing photography of eRecto of SickStar.net along with a full interview. His masterful blend of style along with the incorporation of the iconic Boombox bring style and class to every page.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Up from the Ashes:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] How the Boombox defies death while other technologies are destined to the landfill never to be seen again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Boombox in the City:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Full coverage of a social experiment known as “Boombox in the City” as told by Samovar. How two college professors at two separate universities in southern Italy taught the social importance of the Boombox.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The international Boombox collecting world:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] From Brazil to Las Vegas, from Germany to Vietnam and from England to Sicily. Boombox collecting has evolved from small groups of enthusiasts to a worldwide phenomenon and Boombox Magazine is at the epicenter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Seeing Red:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The full story behind the red Sharp GF-919’s built by an art studio in Russia to celebrate their 40th anniversary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Blasters in the Wild:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Gianna Hernandez is featured with her Lasonic TRC-975 garage sale find.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Keepin' it real:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Ode to the 1990’s construction worker. (dedicated to JVCFloyd)[/SIZE]

If you have never bought an issue of Boombox Magazine and have always been on the fence, then this is the issue you should check out. This is, far and away our best issue ever. Our best art work and content.

The Egyptian Lover story is in his words. Not an interview, just him telling one of the most spectacular stories we have ever heard about how he cut his first mix tapes using a boombox and exactly how he did it.

Boombox Magazine Issue 8 - The Egyptian Lover.jpg
It sounds like a great issue... I'm ordering my copy tonight!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks Guys.

Over the last 10 years of collecting, the thing I have found the most interesting has always been the reaction on the street. The random people that just walk up and emote out of the blue. The stories that flood out of their mouths about how they "used have one back in the day" and how their eyes gloss over and how they are instantly transported back in time to Christmas 1981. That instant when all the weight of the modern world is off of their shoulders. This has always been the motivating force for me to collect and share and to find the good that can come with it and this community.

The story of this interview and how we got it for this magazine is an interesting one. Boomboxery member SLO attended an Egyptian Lover show a few years back in hopes of getting an interview, but for reasons beyond anyone's control it didn't happen, but because of that, The Egyptian Lover was made aware of the magazine (thank you SLO). Last year, The Egyptian Lover reached out to me and wanted to do the interview as part of the 35th anniversary of the release of his first album.

I found out he would be performing in Rome so my wife and I drove 3 hours north, got a hotel near the venue and went to the show. The plan was to meet with him the next day, which we did at his hotel room. I will say on a personal, one on one level, ignoring the celebrity part, the guy is totally down to earth. Absolutely a nice guy with ZERO hint of ego. I will admit it's tough to over look the fact that you are in the room with someone that has had a massive impact on the musical world. But we handled ourselves as professionals.

I brought lights, camera's, tripods, extension cords, the whole set up. We rearranged the furniture in the hotel room to get a blank wall and he went straight into Rock Star mode. We shot a ton of pictures, he changed clothes a few times. He obviously was prepared and has done this many times. Total pro!

Then we sat down to talk. I had prepared some questions. But we didn't do an "Interview". What is in the magazine, what your going to read, is an UNEDITED, start to finish, word for word story that he told to my wife and I that had us at the edge of our seats. I have heard many stories over the years of what Boomboxes have meant to people. But to hear him tell the story of exactly HOW he created his first tracks with a Boombox, not just by singing over music, or looping, but by using them as a recording studio LONG before anyone was doing this stuff. We're talking 1979-80-81. People use the word "Pioneer" allot. This guy LITERALLY created the techniques with boomboxes, then faders, then the Roland 808 drum machine that has become modern music. He describes it all in total detail of how he did it and the exact equipment he used. In my opinion, he IS the West Coast Grand Master Flash.

But the story gets even more interesting....

Along with us in the hotel room was a life long friend of his. A friend that has toured with him over the decades. In casual conversation, not "on the record" or in the interview/story, they discussed how, while on tour, The Egyptian Lover would fly into a country, get off a plane, go straight to an electronics store and BUY a brand new Boombox. Keep in mind, this is a young kid with allot of money. He wouldn't just buy a cheap radio. He said it always had to be the top shelf blaster. Then he would hit the music store and buy the hottest new cassettes and while in the country, he would have music with him. Always had a radio in his hand. Then when it came time to fly out....

HE WOULD LEAVE THE RADIO BEHIND IN THE HOTEL!!!!!!! :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

He said he left more radios in hotels than he could possibly count. It was a regular thing he did. He said back then, he just didn't think twice about it. He said he left JVC's, Sanyo's Sharps....ton's of radios! :blink: That is just INSANITY to think about now!

But it's just a tiny piece of the whole story. He told me he has NEVER told this story of his Boombox and how he created his first music before. So it's only available in Boombox Magazine. Honestly, if you a fan of the history of Hip Hop and Electro, this is something I think you will really appreciate. :yes:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Hell yea man, I can't wait to read all of this! I'm glad you we're able to catch up with him and meet him for yourself :-) That night we met up with him in Riverside was badass! His show was great...He's
a very humble individual, and really down to earth in every way.

These issues keep gettin better and better!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
SLO said:
Hell yea man, I can't wait to read all of this! I'm glad you we're able to catch up with him and meet him for yourself :-) That night we met up with him in Riverside was badass! His show was great...He's
a very humble individual, and really down to earth in every way.

These issues keep gettin better and better!
Thanks SLO, Yes, absolutely a normal guy. Treated my wife and I like we had known him for years. And the story.... :w00t: It's just so amazing.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Mystic Traveller said:
But the story gets even more interesting....
Awesome story indeed, Chris! :yes: :thumbsup:
As he told me the story of leaving boxes behind, my mind was just filled with "what were they?" :w00t: Big Sony's? Big Sanyo's? Big JVC's? Big Sharps?

We joked about how stoked the cleaning ladies would be, finding a $400 stereo in a room ($1040 back in 2019). How many of those radio's may have ended up in the hands of their children? What impact, if any did it have on a young person, to experience music on a premium system. As a young teen, having my Lasonic on the street in 1983 made me the king for 1 summer. Mathematically speaking, it had to have happened and it had to have had the same effect on one of these young people, to walk the streets as the KING with a brand new $1K JVC/Sanyo/Sharp in their hands. Is it possible that this experience bolstered the confidence of a young person to go on to great things? Is it possible that there is a young musician, who was already a music lover, to be leaped forward because of this experience and to have gone on to become a superstar with no conscious connection back to this action?

Or did some young kid get their arse kicked for a $1k box :hmmm: :huh:

I guess we will never know :blink:

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
I just received my copy in the mail. Question on page 22 what make/model is that boombox that looks like it dwarfs all others? It's photographed twice, once in the top row of the wall of boomboxes and again there is a dude in the lower left of the page holding this unit. I circled it in red...

Asking for a friend.

Attachments

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
dj2fresh said:
I just received my copy in the mail. Question on page 22 what make/model is that boombox that looks like it dwarfs all others? It's photographed twice, once in the top row of the wall of boomboxes and again there is a dude in the lower left of the page holding this unit. I circled it in red...

Asking for a friend.
This radio is a custom project. It was shown here on Boomboxery a few years ago in just a few pictures with little description, due in part to the language barrier. I am working hard to get the full story of this project for a future issue of the magazine, but as of right now, I am hitting a bit of a wall. I'm in contact with the guys from Boombox Brazil and they are facilitating the conversation with the creator.

T-STER said:
Got mine on order Chris, looking forward to reading this story bro
Thanks T, interested in hearing what you think of the Egyptian Lover story.

THAFUZZ said:
I received mine yesterday as well. Thanks for all the great work. I love it! All the best, Chris.
Thanks Adam, really appreciate it! :thumbsup: