I bought two (ahem) 'low priced' cassette Decks:
This had a declared 'fault' when trying to play cassettes (no other info) so took a chance.
Sold as good working order but found faulty on arrival.
When trying to play a cassette there was a very loud, constant & rapid click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click affecting the left channel to the point that no sound could be heard. The right channel was not affected - or so it seemed. The noise was loud, crazy and I thought well beyond my limited experience to fix without help.
I didn't know where to start with this so decided to begin by inserting a tape with the open apertures blocked and then pressing keys using the ol' Rec-Play, Rec-Play routine at differing rates and speeds for some 3-4 minutes. I nearly fell over backwards when I inserted a tape and the deck worked perfectly on playback, it was a long shot to try this but it worked a treat! FF & Rew indicate the belts are due for a change and a quick look inside was enough to let me know that I need a good clear head and time aplenty to fix this.
Despite being sold as good working order this deck arrived with the Mother Of All Buzzes in the left channel - it wasn't just a 'buzz', this was a farkin' BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! The playback level indicator went off the scale and scared me
shwitless when I first heard it! I didn't know what to do but ended up with a full refund of costs with a notice saying I could dispose of the offending item. OK, so now there's no harm in having a quick look-see and dabble here & there to see if this could be an easy fix but had no idea what the problem was therefore didn't know where to start.
Using the ol' "When in doubt always fall back on ol' Rec-Play, Rec-Play routine" motto I started with this as I really didn't know where else to start. Well, well, well - to my total surprise it worked on this deck as well but, just to be sure, I opened up the deck and worked the record bar for 50/70/70 times or thereabouts. The deck now plays just as it should although the level meter indicates a <2-3% (or so) increase in playback volume. I'm not saying there is a difference in playback volume, just the the indicator shows this despite in being almost negligible.
I thought each of these issues would be far more of a serious issue, hence a complicated fix, than they actually turned out to be which made my day. From now on I'll always bring to mind the ol' "When in doubt always fall back on ol' Rec-Play, Rec-Play routine" motto as an early option for a variety of issues.
If not for you Guys and your forum posts, I would never have though to try this. Thanks, Guys!