Telefunken studio deck issue

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Sound is quiet and when you raise volume I get loud background hum. Also slow speed. I’ve done all usual things. New belts and pinch roller. Clean and lube. Checked all connections on deck and unfortunately the motor has a hole for adjustment but nothing to actually adjust through the hole. The wiring to heads are sorta crappy but seem ok and the ground are good. Any ideas

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Got to trace it out really bill. Other than the usual suspects of leaf switches and that on the deck.
Do you have the service manual to trace out the audio from the deck head and test voltages at the rec/playback amp?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
docs said:
Got to trace it out really bill. Other than the usual suspects of leaf switches and that on the deck.
Do you have the service manual to trace out the audio from the deck head and test voltages at the rec/playback amp?

Lol in german.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I wonder if these have a record bar that might get dirty? I know you had mentioned that you had lubed / cleaned and the record bar I'm sure was part of your cleaning. Wondering if it may be beyond cleaning.

Curious to see if it records that same issue/hum onto a tape when recording from an input or radio. Then play that tape back on a known good working machine and examine the recording.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
docs said:
The play/rec heads goes directly into the Record bar...

1M record bar.jpg
I’m in process of changing the head and wiring because head looks a little rusty and wires are very thin and brittle. I also ordered a new motor because there is absolutely no adjustment on original even though there is hole for one. It’s just a hole after looking inside. I also did a better job cleaning the record switches and playback switch since I was able to get to them easier. So I’m hoping after doing all this everything will work!!! Thank you for the scheme. ;-)

Transistorized said:
I wonder if these have a record bar that might get dirty? I know you had mentioned that you had lubed / cleaned and the record bar I'm sure was part of your cleaning. Wondering if it may be beyond cleaning.

Curious to see if it records that same issue/hum onto a tape when recording from an input or radio. Then play that tape back on a known good working machine and examine the recording.
The hum is only through tape so hopefully after recleaning record/playback switches and changing head and wires it will take care of issues. Thank you