Aiwa TPR-920 play problem

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Hello. I’m stuck and before I rip my hair out thought I would try you guys first. I cleaned and put new belts (wasn’t sure on size so just stuck a couple on that were snug). It will rew and ff no problem and will play for a few seconds but take up wheel isn’t turning during play. It turns no problem with ff. I haven’t got the belt to tape counter working cause I can’t see where that belt goes to but I don’t care about that now just want it to play at this point, unless somehow that is contibuting to the problem. Any help would be appreciated.🤯😡. I will try and post video
https://youtu.be/xy7gLswVO7c

The Mariah Carey tape is just so I don’t ruin a good one btw. lol

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Most likely you need to check the take up reel. There should be a tire running it and most likely it needs cleaning or replacement. It hard to see in video but you may need to take some of parts off to get to it. Aiwas are complicated!!!

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Most likely you need to check the take up reel. There should be a tire running it and most likely it needs cleaning or replacement. It hard to see in video but you may need to take some of parts off to get to it. Aiwas are complicated!!!
Hello. You were right. It was a tire running the take up reel that turned to goo. Is now working beautiful . Thanks

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
TPR-920s use PM-1 mechanism as most AIWA boomboxes do.
After You had take-up reel table & Idler tire completely cleaned and inspected. But you still have intermittent take up issue. DONT forget to check this little guy.

Its called DRIVE RUBBER (P/N 82-439-462-01)which is attached to the capstan shaft behind the bearing.

Attachments

Last edited:

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
BTW,
Mr. donahuest 's pix shows PM-1 main drive belt and auto stop drive belts. Those devices have little to do with PLAY back take up reel problem which cause eats tape symptom.

PM-1 take up reel working sequence --------Motor->main belt->flywheel->shaft->drive rubber->idler wheel-> take up Hub assembly.

Another thing is the pressure between take up reel hub & take up reel table is misaligned, You can adjust that Y-shape copper spring height to achieve correct setting.

Once you got everything straight out, TEST IT!! Measure take up wheel torque should be 25-45g-cm with SONY CQ-102C cassette torque meter.

Last edited: