My first restoration project - Conion C-100F

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
I picked this up on eBay for $350 a few weeks ago and getting ready to bring it back to its glory days. Overall the unit works very well with the only major issue being Tape 2 not working at all.

Here is my initial list........

Mechanically/Electronically...

There is a broken RCA pin stuck in the Line IN/Phono Inputs (I actually just removed it)

Tape 2 doesn’t work, when I insert a tape the direction arrow lights up but I don’t hear any sound or the motor spinning, FFWD and RWD also don’t work.

Tape 1 door doesn’t eject all the way when there isn’t a tape inside, you have to push the eject button and help it open manually. When there is a tape inside it almost opens perfectly.

Remove clicks and static sounds when operating switches and knobs.

The edit button isn’t locking in the ON position. This is scratched off the list this is normal the button doesn't hold when pressed. Thanks baddboybill for clarifying.

Right side tuning VU meter isn’t moving at all.

Cosmetically...

Needs a good cleaning, polish knobs, polish chrome, clean tuner windows, clean nooks and crannies.

Missing metal strip on cassette storage tray.

The plastic clip on the rear of the case that holds the right side antenna down is broken.

There is a crack in the rear of the case

There is a crack in the corner of the front where it meets the rear and side of the case.

I’ll post detailed photos of the issues before I start the project.

Attachments

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
baddboybill said:
Very nice conion. I don’t believe edit button is supposed to lock. It’s a push and hold switch to edit tape spaces. ;-)
Ok well in that case I can remove that off the list. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn’t 100 percent sure about that button.

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
baddboybill said:
Very nice conion. I don’t believe edit button is supposed to lock. It’s a push and hold switch to edit tape spaces. ;-)
I read more about it in the PDF manual I got from the link on this site. :-) Yeah I guess it was a quick way to mute out commercials while recording from radio and used to create space in-between tracks. Perhaps the method was to hold at the end of a song watch the tape counter then hit pause in between tracks?

dj2fresh

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
Transistorized said:
You got a great deal for $350. That is a nice start. And you have the lower tray and the cassette door :-)
Yeah it was a strange auction, I've been on the prowl for a while, woke up one Sunday and someone posted "$500 or best offer MUST SELL TODAY". I asked a couple questions about the unit. He asked if I was interested he would change it to a make an offer instead. I was suspicious at first, the eBayer only sold small items but he did have great reviews, so I offered him $250 and we worked are way to $350. I'm not too happy about how he packed it tho. I should have taken photos while unboxing it and filed a complaint. The hairline crack on the back of the case and a broken antenna clip was due to poor packaging. At this point I didn't want to get over worked and stressed out even tho there wasn't a crack in the photos and he wouldn't credit back anything when I pointed this out to him. I would have spent too much time arguing about this so I let it go considering the lower tape deck, alarm, lights, radio, etc all work I still made out. Lesson learned, get better details about how it will be packaged upfront. I would have offered to pay extra to have it packaged properly.