Here's my small Vintage collection..

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
I grew up reading radio shack catalogs and dreaming of cool stereo's and radio's. . As I got older I made speakers out of cardboard and tape and put transistor radio speakers in them. I made them look like the real speakers that were full sized the best I could.
As I got older, (like about 11 or 12) I went to radio shack and got my "free battery per month card" I then saved up to buy a small transistor radio. When I was 14, I had a part time job and worked for a nice used home system for my room. Pink Floyd was the band for insane volume levels when the parents were out.

This is my mini collection today...
And I still enjoy going through the old catalogs.

Attachments

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Brings back some similar memories. My first radio was a creaky old valve hand-me-down that doubled as a room heater...well almost. Made an extension speaker out of stuff in the junk box and I was happy for a while. My dad never bought me the radio i drooled over, but he did buy me the 40 channel hand-held you have there. I was in heaven!

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Yea, those old handheld CB's were very cool.
I do remember those Nova 40's. Heavy and well made.

And the little red Sanyo, You're right goodman. It's a nice little find.
That one was at a yard sale a few years back.

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Wow, thanks for the pics! I have the same memories with those Radio Shack catalogs. Used to dream at what I wanted but never got. I was a little more fortunate in having a best friend that was 2 years older than me and a garage full of his dads tools where we'd make speaker boxes out of pine shelving and go-carts amongst other things! I was 11 at the time. Good memories. Call me crazy, but for some reason, I would love to get my hands on a mint condition TRS-80 computer. I think that was the model with the screen and keyboard all in one unit. I know for sure my wife would look at me in a strange way and have me checked out by a doctor and an MRI scan to the head... Just Sayin'

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Hey SBS, Yes those walkie talkies are super el minto!

OK Simon, yes you're crazy. TRS-80 computer eh?
I'll keep an eye out. Last year in a yard sale I noticed a wack of very old Radio shack computer books and computer hardware.
Although that's not much help now is it.

But In my collection of old Radio shack catalogs I have one that's just for computers. I'm not into computer stuff at all.

If you want it I'll find it and send it to you. I'll try and find it and take a picture too..

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Steve, I appreciate it, but don't go out of your way sending it to me. If you have a pic of the ad, I would be more curious what they went for compared to what you can get a modern computer today. I guess I'm a sucker for that early stuff. If I brought home that computer I would be pushing the envelope with my wife's patience in terms of my mental status!! LOL

This is just another reminder of how awesome it is to be here. You guys are great!

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Instead of sending it to you Simon I will post it here on my thread.., Look at those prices!

Attachments

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Wow, Thanks! What a throwback to the early days! The prices were definitely out of this world. I remember using a cassette to record the dos data in school. Computers were a new thing. I didn't really take to them at the time nor was it a requirement. I graduated HS in 1988 and through that time, never really did anything with computers. Having said that, I was always fascinated in them but my parents would never afford anything. My first real computer was a used Commodore Vic 20.

My wife and I watch old reruns of the six million dollar man, the bionic woman and all those late 70's and early 80's shows. Funny how cheesy they look today but back then we were amazed at the technology of that era.

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Then again, I should rephrase that.... I know we all say the 80’s are vintage but to me it doesn’t seem like so. The 80’s do not feel like it was long ago. Sucks getting old. Now I’m vintage. Never thought I’d look at it this way! I too miss those days mostly due to the innocence and lack of any real responsibilities.

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
LOL, I'm 53. The other day a kid about 14 was in my shop and he saw my old Sharp GF8989 hanging on the wall cranking out the tunes.
He said WOW, WHAT YEAR IS YOUR RADIO ! .... "around 1980 I said" .... Holly crap man, totally vintage! he said.
I realized when he said it that the radio was made well before he was even born.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
The 80's are not "Vintage" at all, just the eBay snowflakes that punt these stupid terms about also the same applies to "Retro" ****ing retro/vintage my ass! So annoying - the 80's was y/day for many of us & boomers hifi & cb stuff to name a few are neither vintage or retro!! We surround ourselves in our homes with golden age 80's & some 70's equipment because we love & appreciate how good & the sheer quality of these things make us happy! Next it will be us that are deemed vintage!!