Photo

Looks like I'll have to go the E-bay route , but I totally didn't want to.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast BC Canada

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

I think I'm a bit out of luck on this forum for finding a super clean boom box.

I've only had one offered to me.

So, this is my last try at getting something really nice.

I can't take the small box I have here in that big room anymore, It just doesn't have the power. ...And it's frustrating

I would LOVE to buy a super clean Sharp GF 777

And lastly a JVC RC-m90

I know the M90 is a better box, but I love the look of the Sharps.

I could pay how ever you like, But the unit must be SUPER clean original or restored please.

I'll give this one last try on the forum.

I kind of enjoy this forum too, and would like to stick around.

Hoping an honest longtime collector can let something go to me.

Thanks,  Steve

#2 Stuzy

Stuzy
  • Members (SA)
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Hi

Been after a Gf 999 - 1000 for ages, good ones are as rare as rocking horse s..t.

Don't leave the forum because you can't find the holy grail, we are all in search of something  :-D

Join the queue on the 999 - 1000, your after me my friend  ;-)

Enjoy your weekend  :clap:

#3 Styleking

Styleking
  • Members (SA)
  • 869 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA.

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

Steve, I believe you have the wrong idea of what this website is. This is not a boombox sales website, it's a forum for collectors. A lot of the members have been here for close to ten years and what we do is share information on repairing and collecting these treasured items from our past.

You have been a member here for less than 3 weeks and are practically demanding that one of our members sell you one of their "grail" boomboxes in near mint condition, immediately? Wrong approach. A Sharp GF 1000 is a very rare box and I know, I've been on the hunt for one for over 10 years. I could pay the outrageous prices for one that are available on certain websites but I choose to go with a more patient approach. I will acquire one eventually and when I do I will be that much more appreciative of it.

Btw: If not getting one through one of our valuable members means you will be checking out of the website then this wasn't the website for you in the first place!

Bye Felicia!

#4 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

Actually I do know what this website is about. I'm interested in lots of the topics here.

And since most forums have a buy and sell section, I assumed it would be a good place to get a nice condition box at a fair price.

And from someone that knows what he has and it's condition. Not just some e-bay seller looking to make money.

It doesn't matter if I've been a member for a day or 10 years. I'm still  a member looking for something.

I totally understand that some of these are rare. And I do get that.

I'm also not "demanding" anyone sell me anything. I'm just asking. And if not I will have to try e-bay.

I'm also into building super rare type of motorbike.  We sell, trade and buy parts worldwide with each other,  so I totally get the fact that some stuff is very very rare.

We don't require anyone to be a member for any certain amount of time before selling them a rare part or doing a deal with them.

We help each other out as best we can since we all have the same interests. .....New guy or veteran.

Like posted above, everyone is searching for something.  I'm just asking if this is the place.

I'm been a member of many forums on different things over the years.

I also know some members don't like helping the "newbie"

But who's Fellicia? Sorry that went over my head I'm afraid. 

#5 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

It’s the right place but you know what us collectors are like, if we find a rare mint one we keep it. And if we have to sell it then there will be a big list of long term forum members who we’ve dealt with before, or who we perhaps owe a favour to, or maybe has something else rare to trade, who’ll be ahead of the new guy. We get people coming on here all the time offering cash for mint rare boxes thinking just waving cash will get you one. It won’t. They’re incredibly hard to find in good condition for a good price and it takes months and years of constant searching to find the right one. So I’m absolutely not criticising you for asking, on the face of it it’s a sensible request, just nicely saying you’ll likely not get much luck. I’ll happily be proven wrong but I suspect I’m not. Good luck though :-)

For example, it took me 7 years to get an M90 that wasn’t trashed or stupid money, and that was with constant searching :-)

#6 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

Ok Northerner, Thank you for the insight of the basic workings of the forum. I'm not a very patient guy and always have a hard time with this sort of thing.

If I did get a box here, I would not be here just for that and leaving. Not my style at all.

I'll settle into this website for the long run and if something comes up that would be great.  It's just harder to get into it if you don't have a box you're proud of or are restoring.

I just wanted to play with the big toys right away.  It's just the way I am.  

#7 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

No worries.

Really the only way to get the big boys toys right from the outset is to pay the big eBay prices. It’s not that members are unhelpful, on the contrary, I’ve had masses of help from forum members over the years...and I’ve had good deals from others and I’ve given good deals. Trouble is this hobby is hard for the impatient :-)

#8 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have been collecting electronics for almost 3 decades, and have heard all the stories about the unbelievable thrift store or craigslist finds.  Or even the occasional eBay score when sellers didn't know what they had.  In all that time, I have yet to acquire 1 single true thrift store "find".  Most all are late style boxes and never for $2.99 or anything like that ones, even those late style boxes set me back $$7.99 to $14.99... you know the one I'm talking about.  They are small black roundish eggs, usually made by memorex, Sony, GE, Aiwa, etc.  I've never once ever purchased a silver classic before through them.  I do have 2 classics that came from goodwills...  an SK900 and an RX-5350.  However, both were discovered by somebody else who sold them to me through eBay and I paid a fortune at the time for them ($450 for the SK900 and $600+ for the RX-5350).  If ever there was a time when goodwill finds were possible, it's almost impossible today since everyone including goodwill itself knows enough now to research value before putting them up on the shelves.  In fact, goodwill now culls out all the good stuff and sells them on eBay leaving the trash for the shelves.  Virtually all of the boomboxes I own were purchased through eBay since the stuff I want could never be located there unless I went daily for the next 300 years, and I don't think I'm going to live that long.  I did find an M90 through craigslist once and it only set me back $200 but it was in poor shape and I had to drive 850 miles round trip to buy, all the while there was a risk that he wouldn't follow through when I got there.  I think fuel probably costed another $300 and it took a full day, morning til pitch black night before I got home, in retrospect would never do that again.  Of course I am in USA.  You are in CA where it seems nice boombox scores are more common.

Bottom line is, If you are specific with what you want, and impatient, there is only one source, and that is to pay market price through eBay.  Coming to the forum and asking for someone to sell you one of their top boxes out of their collection that they took years, maybe decades to acquire...  and even specifying that it must be in top shape, mint, and or restored, fully working..... that's fine if someone just happens to be in the market to sell one.  But that is a function of timing, and please do be prepared to pay market price, or close to it.  Virtually every member here does eBay, knows the value of their sh!t, and isn't likely to let you have it for cheap.  If you want cream of the crop though, be prepared to pay caviar dollars, not chicken egg pennies.  Just saying... 

One last note....  of all the boomboxes you mentioned, ONLY the 777 and M90 were ever released by the manufacturers in your/my country.  The GF-999 and GF-1000 were only ever released in Japan domestically, not anywhere else in the world.  If someone has one to sell you, it was imported from Japan which is not cheap in the least.  Furthermore, even Japan where boxes used to be cheap, are not so cheap anymore.  Due to heavy bidding and buying from outsiders, Japanese sellers have figured out that those certain models are in high demand (translate:  valuable).  So even though they are virtually identical from a practical standpoint from the GF-777, they are the rarest of the rare of the GF lineup for the simple fact that they were never released anywhere else.  In other words, once again, expect to pay top dollars for something that will be lettered in all Japanese text.

#9 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

I hear ya, I sometimes wonder if those second hand store/goodwill mint finds for $5.99 aren't just BS stories myself.

I'm 53 and have been into those types of stores wince I was a kid. Never such luck.

Oh and yea,  I'm not looking for Japanese text so thanks for that.  I didn't realize they weren't in English.

I didn't realize we had a few more deals to be had in Canada. That's usually not the case with most things.

Nice to hear though.

#10 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

I just think it's a bad time if you hold on to your money eventually something will come along you want it's not like you can just rub a Genie bottle in a pop-up when you want them if you're broke like me they pop up every day lol.

#11 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,195 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

I was going to consider selling my GF-777 but you stated that you lived in Canada,i to thiught you lived in Ca. But then you said it was to expensive to ship and i wont ship my beautiful 777Z to Canada,to risky(theyre fragile).
I was asking a very fair price and i had it listed for wuite a while. I pulled it because there were no serious buyers.
Mine is fully working with the exception of AM which i tecently got to come in but not real strong yet-i just wiggked the tuner switch a while and i almost got it to come in full power on AM. Just needing a cleaning on tuner(de-oxit)
So on that note im just going to keep it as ill clean the tuner and have it at 100%.
I had to go through a true ordeal to get this beauty,took 5 months to arrive and i love it as its so clean and sounds so powerful. Yes its herd to part with after how hard it was ti get.
One of the things i stated to was i like to deliver or have local pick up as ive done this with a few boxes with nembers here,the last thing i want is a smashed box in shipoing.
So i do wish you luck on finding one.

#12 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

Yes, yours looked very nice too. And thanks for wishing me luck finding one.

I actually just shipped a 45 lb Pioneer 980 receiver,   But I made an awesome box for the trip.

Tightly packed with soft foam then harder foam outside that. Then the double cardboard box using one full roll of packing tape on the ends.

Reinforced corners too.

The guy I shipped it to said it was pack so well and he was super happy when he got it.

I built the box so you could drop the receiver with no damage.

If done very well, anything can be safely shipped I think. I shipped a flat packed table to the Yukon last year actually. 

I've shipped 3 full sized motorbikes too.

But I used to build travel cases for a museum as my job. :-)

I just think it's a bad time if you hold on to your money eventually something will come along you want it's not like you can just rub a Genie bottle in a pop-up when you want them if you're broke like me they pop up every day lol.

Thanks Floyd!   I'm sure you're right,

#13 Hajidub

Hajidub
  • Members (SA)
  • 96 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

Boomboxes in general are rare finds. These members with ginormous and beautiful collection photo's have probably put in more leg and sweat work than most folks with full time jobs. I commend, respect, and envy every member that has keep these beauties out of the landfills! 'Merica!!!

#14 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:50 PM

I hear ya, I sometimes wonder if those second hand store/goodwill mint finds for $5.99 aren't just BS stories myself.

I'm 53 and have been into those types of stores wince I was a kid. Never such luck.

Oh and yea,  I'm not looking for Japanese text so thanks for that.  I didn't realize they weren't in English.

I didn't realize we had a few more deals to be had in Canada. That's usually not the case with most things.

Nice to hear though.

You're a younger lad than me, so you have more time available to waste at Goodwill if you like.  But it's pretty clear from my experience that cheap once in a lifetime goodwill finds are the exception rather than the rule.  Life is just too short to spend all of it at goodwills.  Besides, if you are like me, going all the time usually means that you will find and buy everything except the thing you are looking for.  If your previous life was a packrat, and you've carried over any of those tendencies when you reincarnated to human form, that's not good news.

As for the Japanese writing, yeah, you can figure out most of it pretty quickly just by trying the controls, but those models do have Japanese writing and if you use the radio all the time, you'll get the hang of it.  But put it away for a few months and you'll have to try all the controls again all over again just to get used to it once more.   A couple of the switches are different from the USA versions such as wireless FM and such & maybe couple others but you'll end up never using them because you'll never be able to figure them out and remember, unless you want to label everything with sharpied masking tape or stick on labels.  Then there's the power issue.  I'm not sure about those 2 models whether they are multi-voltage but I suspect they are 100V only.  ONLY Japan uses 100V mains so you'll need an adapter.  In the end, it's really the same unit as the GF-777 without the blue grills, white speakers, etc and if looks is what's important to you, you can paint the grills (easy enough since they pull right out) and put whatever speakers you want in there that satisfies your eyes because they are common 6.5" size.  Oh and yeah, English lettering.  About the only thing that is really different is that the tuner bezel behind the glass on the 777 shrouds the meters somewhat, whereas on those other 2 models, they are enshrouded so they look bigger, but if you're saying you didn't notice that, then I guess that difference wasn't worth much anyhow.

#15 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,611 posts
  • LocationItapevi - São Paulo - Brasil

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:43 AM

Japan is STILL the place for GFs series... ...pretty expensive taxes to intermediate and shipping the bos overseas, but they could make your dreams come true...

https://buyee.jp/ite...tion/s600918453

Cheers.

#16 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:48 AM

You really just need to post in wanted section and sort of wait and just keep eye out everywhere!! It’s taken me years to locate specific units and that’s part of the fun!!! Good luck 😎

#17 Coast Steve

Coast Steve
  • Members (SA)
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thanks guys, all good advice.  I think the English GF777 or the JVC M90

is the way to go.