Legitimate Battery Test across all brands

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Although he is only testing AA's in this video (I have asked him to test D's) It is a very interesting test in deed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-ghrTqA44

Superduper

Member (SA)
There were some minor variations but the results are pretty much in line with my expectations and experience. I only use alkaline & lithium regardless of cost of mA/penny cost because there is one factor that wasn’t considered which is that depleted batteries pose a serious corossion risk to the device. In fact, the bounce test pretty much gives a visual demonstration which is that depleted cells will have increased internal pressure due to a chemical change of electrolyte. Cells that require more frequent replacement means there’s more opportunities for leakage simply because the cells will dwell more in the discharged regions than cells with more capacity. For that reason alone, the lithium cells are awesome. Unfortunately, they only come in AA size, nothing larger that I’ve seen.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I think the thing that surprised me in this test is that the Energizer's beat the the Duracell's. I always put them on the same level. Not the case at all.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I've always been able to get Duracells cheaper than Energizers, so I guess now I know why lol

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The Duracells tailed by less than 2% at worst, but that's what Costco stocks, so they win.

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I had an entire pack of brand new Duracell AAAs leak - all within 1 month of purchase - they still had years and years before expiry!
On more than a couple occasions I've had AAAs farked right out of the box, no corrosion, but they measure somewhere between 0 and -1V instead of 1.6V.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
No Alkaline batteries for me. Too much risk on leaking batteries. I only use rechargeable NiMH batteries. In the long run you will save money and have almost zero chance of leakage. Add to that a lower internal resistance than Alkaline batteries and enhanced amplifier performance as a result, it's a no brainer. Alkaline batteries fade away in a linear fashion. If that's not enough, their internal resistance increases along with internal pressure. You truly only get an hour or two of good power performance and then they start to fade away. So until they completely die you only get a fraction of power output and it just keeps getting worse until dead....then they leak. No thanks. My NiMH batteries go at full power until exhausted.

I'm going on 5 years with my original set of NiMH Tenergy D cells and they still run my most power hungry box for 10 to 14 hrs.