New to the site, Always loved boom boxes.

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
I'm a wood worker in BC Near Vancouver. I like most things made in the 70,s that have to do with stereo equipment.
Always wanted to own a really big well made, classic silver faced boom box.

One day I'll find one I can afford, from someone trustworthy.

I'm into my vintage restored Kawasaki KZ 1000R S1, It took me over year to build it. And like old tools and vintage machinery.
I do have a small collection of old radios too, non really considered boom boxes. But Like I say I love 70's and old quality stuff.
Radio shack Realistic cb's and small radios, etc.

Looks like I have lots to learn on this site.

Bullpup

Nov 15, 2018
Colorado
www.paulsroom.com
Welcome Steve!

I also like vintage radios, especially ham and shortwave radio gear, though most of what I restore is tube driven.

I recently found and restored my first true boombox, a Sanyo 920, which is a big beast... so very cool!

​Keep looking... you will eventually find your dream boomer!

Bullpup

Nov 15, 2018
Colorado
www.paulsroom.com
Hey Steve....

Should I ever decide to part with my Sanyo 920, I'll let you know.
I think this would fit the bill for what you are looking for.

Shipping from the states to BC would be ridiculous, though, as this box weighs 23+ pounds, without a full complement of batteries.

Here is a photo of the box with a fully restored Zenith Transoceanic, kind of an old school boombox.

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
That's a pretty good looking 920 machine you have there Paul.
I like that one.

How would it crank up and sound compared to the JVC RC-M90 or Sharp 777?

And the quality and weight of the build, where do you think yours fits in?

Thanks,

Bullpup

Nov 15, 2018
Colorado
www.paulsroom.com
Well, to be quite honest, I've not had a chance listen to any other boomboxes.
However, I've owned many other stereo systems, portable radios and the like and I think this sounds exceptionally high quality, even when cranked up.
Of course, sound quality is the ears of the beholder!
One set of speakers sound great to one person, and sound tinny to another.

The build quality on this Sanyo is very heavy duty. Looks like high quality components used throughout, and when disassembled for restoration, I was amazed at how much was packed in there. This is no lightweight, either, and weighs in about 23+ pounds minus batteries.

I recently restored a Polk Audio Sirius XM home receiver, which I run via the Line In on the Sanyo (sounds great!). When I opened the receiver, there was only one very small PC board in the case. The 920 is just the opposite.
Look at my previous post on this Introduction forum, there are photos of this 920.

It seems good desirable boomboxes are somewhat difficult to find. I pick at garage and estate sales frequently, and I just don't run across them at all.

Based on what I've read since joining this forum, there were many manufacturers and models collectible boomboxes made. Guess most must be in private collections...

Paul's 1941 Chevy Web Site
& All Things Vintage...
http://www.paulsroom.com

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Coast Steve said:
That's a pretty good looking 920 machine you have there Paul.
I like that one.

How would it crank up and sound compared to the JVC RC-M90 or Sharp 777?

And the quality and weight of the build, where do you think yours fits in?

Thanks,
id trade you an m90 for you're big pioneer amp steve but i couldn't afford the shipping, by the time you paid the shipping on that pioneer i think you could afford to buy an m90 lol....................m90 compared to sanyo 920, no comparison, sorry guys but the 920 looks so sweeet

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Rimmer, I sold the big Receiver yesterday. It's in the mail right now in my custom made super foam lined box.

I am interested in the box if decide to sell it Paul. I'm sure you have lots of pics too. Thanks

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
I actually sold the smaller 80 watt-980. I kept the 270 watt- 1980 big beast.
This one's a keeper for me.

Keep your eye open in your local used adds in your paper. You can find the odd deal at times.