Typical TRK-8080 restoration of cassette mechanism

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
HI

I am not too much into listening to tapes.
I just recapped and cleaned TRk-8080 which I will use mostly for listening to FM radio and through line-in.
I have the replacement belts and I wonder if it's a complicated procedure. And do you think replacement of belts will make it work correctly in a typical case? Or would something more be needed? Like pitch rollers replacement, lubricating, some kind of adjustments to the motor motor? Wonder if it's worth my effort.

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
baddboybill said:
Well worth restoration on deck of the 8080. It’s not to difficult but best to replace pinch roller as well IMHO!!!
OK, I bought the belts on ebay, but where do I buy the rollers? Are rollers all the same for most boomboxes?
First I will have to remove remnants of old belts and I have no idea what state the head is in.

Atomtan

Member (SA)
Oct 22, 2010
U.K.
I did one over the summer, its a nice box to work on.

Sadly, unlike the 8200 etc, you need to get the entire central chassis out to get behind it to change the belts. I was going to change my pinch roller as well, but it was in remarkably good condition, and I couldn't find one that I was sure would be a good replacement. I found the record bar on mine was a nightmare to clean (it was full of fluff) which took alot of treatments with contact cleaner to get it out.

Strangely, two belts remained as belts, but the drive belt had turned to that strange black goo which truly gets everywhere, and took hours to remove from the 'brass' drive spindle.

I had hoped the 8080 performance wise, would be pretty close to my 8200, but I find the performance to be lesser. Also, the 8200 line in works perfectly, but I think the 8080 needs a pre-amp in line to drive well through there.

In my opinion, the 8080 is a pretty box and I did find it a decent box to work on. Good luck with it.