went thru all old catalogs i could find

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Some of those prices are surprisingly reasonable but other are absolutely eye watering considering the level of wages at the time, being Cool came at a price. In November 1968 I bought my first (mono) record player for about £16 and I had to save for this over many weeks as my wages at the time were the equivalent of £3.45/week + food and accommodation. The following year I bought my first radio (Fidelity Rad16) for a similar price and bought my first stereo record player in 1971 for £21.00. The prices sound cheap enough today but it was an awful lot of money to me in those days.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Thank you for sharing this. There is very good old electronics.
I also have many catalogs from the middle of 80's and 90's,
but without scanner, I cant publish anything.

Coast Steve

Member (SA)
Nov 26, 2018
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
I'll take the 70's and 80's again please. We can drop Facebook, instagram, smartphones, digital everything,..... and actually the internet all together.

So let's all just meet as the schoolyard monkey bars over by the bike racks.....bring your banana seat bikes with your handlebar AM radio's! (playing cards in spokes)

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Coast Steve said:
I'll take the 70's and 80's again please. We can drop Facebook, instagram, smartphones, digital everything,..... and actually the internet all together.

So let's all just meet as the schoolyard monkey bars over by the bike racks.....bring your banana seat bikes with your handlebar AM radio's! (playing cards in spokes)
Amen Steve. Simpler times indeed.

However, how about we roll the clock back even further to the real portable music generation...the early 50's! LOL
Go June Cleaver!

Attachments

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Wow! Wonder if any still exist today?! Amen again to the simpler times. I had the AM radio on my handlebars of my cobbled up together bike. 20" tire in the back and a 16" up front. 3 speed shifter in the center!

On that picture above, I've renovated and flipped a few houses. Funny how some of them still had that VCT still in tact under the carpet. Most of it was green or burgundy in color. Completely ugly. I guess it was all the rage then.

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
MesaAZGuy said:
Wow! Wonder if any still exist today?! Amen again to the simpler times. I had the AM radio on my handlebars of my cobbled up together bike. 20" tire in the back and a 16" up front. 3 speed shifter in the center!

On that picture above, I've renovated and flipped a few houses. Funny how some of them still had that VCT still in tact under the carpet. Most of it was green or burgundy in color. Completely ugly. I guess it was all the rage then.
Good question! I'd love to see one of these "portables" in working order.

I have also assited in some reno's of house and as soon as we seen vinatge tile under the flooring, the old Astbestos alarms start ringing. especially 9 x 9's. Indeed the post war construction boom led to a lot of these quick builds and funky colours! Be careful of those tiles!!

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Brutus442 said:

Good question! I'd love to see one of these "portables" in working order.

I have also assited in some reno's of house and as soon as we seen vinatge tile under the flooring, the old Astbestos alarms start ringing. especially 9 x 9's. Indeed the post war construction boom led to a lot of these quick builds and funky colours! Be careful of those tiles!!
I'm a dead man walking. I couldn't tell you how much asbestos I inhaled over my life. When I was 18 one of my handyman jobs was to remove an old free standing fireplace out of a restaurant. I went into the dark attic with a sawzall and cut the pipe going thru the roof. a bunch of grey dust came out. As I pulled the pipe, there was a sticker out of initial view saying it had fire retardant asbestos as an insulator. Man, did I inhale a crapload of that. Growing up as a kid, my parents house had steam heat. We played in the basement as it was our playroom. The steam pipes had asbestos coating over them. My brother and I would knock the asbestos with a mop handle to "make it snow". We had no idea. Working as a Union Electrician in Manhattan, almost all the buildings had that crap in one form or another. One of these days I expect my lungs to fall out and poop out of my butt...