Hello From Kentucky

boomerang

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2018
Just wanted to say hey to everyone as I am new here. Just brought out and dusted off my old Sharp GF8989 II boombox which I bought for the tidy sum of $199 back in 1982. That was a lot of money back then, especially for a 15 year old kid. Anyhow, I've had it packed away in the basement for many years and decided to try to get it back up and running again. I found this forum and thought it looked like a good place to join. I miss the "old days" when I could go to the local appliance store and drool over all the huge and exotic boomboxes sitting on display. If only I'd had the money back then :(

Stuzy

Member (SA)
Aug 20, 2017
London
Hi

Welcome to the site. Bought my first Sharp GF 767 in 1982 from a hi-fi shop in Tottenham Court Road London. Paid £225 and was earning £60 per week.

Still love it and cuddle it every day :thumbsup:

boomerang

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2018
Thanks Stuzy and Northerner. I guess that 1982 may have been one of the peak years for the production and sales of boomboxes. It was for me at least :-)

boomerang

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2018
Styleking said:
Welcome Boomerang! Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks, Styleking. I'm glad to be here. Will post pics once I get it put back together, though I'm not so sure everyone wants to see a boring, old GF8989 II. If I read correctly, it was a top seller for a while...meaning there are probably a lot of them floating around out there.