Rookie LED question

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi people,

I'm thinking about adding some green lights to an already partly customized box in the tuner dial section. Where is the best place to tap into the 12V supply? (15v in this case, but either way i can work out leds and resistors needed, I'm ok with that)
Just after the fuses I was thinking...
many thanks

Superduper

Member (SA)
(1) it differs from box to box. Some boxes don’t even have fuses. Some are switched before this location and some after.

(2) unless you are using the Boombox on batteries, voltage on AC could be much higher. It’s not unusual for a 15v box to have voltage exceeding 19v on AC since the power supply is unregulated at the main secondary rail. However there are probably at least 1 regulated rail available. But caution needs to be exercised if tapping from there; regulated rails have limited current available and the regulators might or might not have extra capacity. In general, I would think that manufacturers would only design a regulator circuit to be just robust enough for the intended circuit being serviced by that regulator.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hmm...that's very useful to know, thanks for helping out.
So, as I don't know how to determine the current available from the reg rail, I will measure and tap the unregulated rail off the secondary. I'm fact I will probably send the power supply schematic bit to a friend who knows about these things to be safe.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
This idea of a LED strip for the tuner window and maybe a few extra for DiscoLite-style JVC crossed my mind more than once. Pretty easy to do, nice kits available from AnalogAlley, and with a bit of research (or $5 LED controller from IKEA) any bbox can be transformed into a Christmas tree :-)
What stopped me is the fact that most (not all) hi-end players have an option to turn off the display, to improve SoundQuality a bit. So, +1 to what @Superduper said.
Finding transformer with an extra secondary winding for the LEDs would be my first step. If any Discolite schematics available, that would be a good start, but I do not think they worried about SQ when designing them. Stop worrying about bbox SQ and just taping into rectifier is still on my "to-do list" :cool:

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm with you on the sound quality issue. I replaced all the broken bulbs in a Sony tuner (ST-88, classic piece of 70s furniture), and found that the stereo light degraded the sound. So that one got removed..

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Would be totally wild to drill a hole thru the magnet of the driver (without destroying it by heat... somehow) and sticking LED there, as in Disco Lite. Yet another goofy idea that you reminded is on my "to do" list!
As my collection grows, thanks to all the dudes here, I shall go for it!!! Right now I am still happy with just reviving them babies, and getting extra thrilled if any have "real" problems, not just belts/grease!!! My primary hobby is plastic jets modelling (see my efforts at square-2.com) and fixing bbox in just a few days feels wrong to me: if you spend over a year of your free time building something (see my Saab J-35) then you fall in love with a baby! :-)