Wharfedale Glendale XP2 Speakers

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
So i was going to buy a pair of Wharfedale Denton 3 speakers ! Well that fell through because of a lets say rubbish seller on Ebay ! So i ended up buying a stunning pair of Wharfedale Glendale XP2 speakers and fairplay WOW it has changed the sound of my system so much the detail in the sound is amazing to be fair ! Im so chuffed with them ! they are like brand new even the cabinates are mint teak ! the top end and mid range sound bright sparkley and clear with the low end sounding warm and rounded just like a pair of english speakers should . Im in love with them ! they look sooooooooooo goooooodP1040147.JPGP1040143.JPGP1040146.JPGP1040142.JPG

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
MyOhMy said:
I think these will be on My List after your glowing post! Do you have the technical specifications of these speakers?
Thank you myohmy ! il get the info for you i do know that they are 40 watts ! id say its a safe bet to get a pair they sound so goooooood im running them on my Technics A1010 mosfet power amp and Technics C1010 pre amp along side two tastey Technics EQs this also makes a massive difference lol . Im that taken with these speakers iv taken my big Technics G-series speakers out and my big sonys too ! Going to replace them with more vintage wharfedale speakers it is the way forward .

T-STER said:
They look lovely, such a nice quality design
They are T-STER and sound stunning

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
As you showed so much excitement with your newly acquired Glendale XP2 speakers I've also bought a pair which I will pick up during the week. In the meantime, I've acquired a pair of Kef Cantor II speakers, a pair of Wharfedale Delta 30 speakers and a pair of Wharfedale 300 speakers and they've all been put to good use replacing puny speakers on mini Hi-Fi units to great effect.

As a general side note on Wharfedale speakers, I read on the Wharfedale site that any speakers with 'XP' in the model name defines those speakers as 'eXtra Powerful'. I also read elsewhere that the number in the model name (i.e. 2XP, 3XP) refers to the quantity of speakers in the particular model. I am still trying to figure out the difference between an 'XP2' model and a '2XP' model.

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
MyOhMy said:
As you showed so much excitement with your newly acquired Glendale XP2 speakers I've also bought a pair which I will pick up during the week. In the meantime, I've acquired a pair of Kef Cantor II speakers, a pair of Wharfedale Delta 30 speakers and a pair of Wharfedale 300 speakers and they've all been put to good use replacing puny speakers on mini Hi-Fi units to great effect.

As a general side note on Wharfedale speakers, I read on the Wharfedale site that any speakers with 'XP' in the model name defines those speakers as 'eXtra Powerful'. I also read elsewhere that the number in the model name (i.e. 2XP, 3XP) refers to the quantity of speakers in the particular model. I am still trying to figure out the difference between an 'XP2' model and a '2XP' model.
fairplay i really like kef speakers they do sound great the cantors always sounded nice good low end and bright top ! must say as for the wharedale speakers you cant go wrong with the whole 70s range they brought out all being stunning in sound and greats looking cabs ! wharfedale speakers from the 80s onwards not for me as they dont look or sound as nice to me buts thats just me lol ! iv gone and bought a pair of celestion 120 speakers to go with my english speaker collection for the best sound in my opinion ! they really do go so well with my wharfedale glendale xp2 speakers and my big home made speakers with english drivers in them ! il put some pics up shortly with the celestion 120 speakers i havent seen these celestion speakers before so glad i ordered them they sound stunning along side the rest i like them so much im gonna buy a pair of celestion f30 dark apple wood floorstanding speakers to go with them ! the way i look at it is buy british speakers and jap hifi gear such as Technics and go for the top end Technics the sound is in my opinion truely fantastic it really is like a drug or the best sex ever lol you cant bet it its that good ! every morning i turn on my hifi set up and play something nice like (Simple Minds Huner and the Hunted) then coffee lol

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Well, today I collected my own pair of Wharfedale Glendale XP2 speakers - and the sheer size & weight were a bit of a shocker so I can't see me hanging these on a wall anytime soon! :-O :sadno: I'l be connecting them to a Hi-Fi tomorrow and this is something I'm looking forward to with immense anticipation, one thing I know for certain is that these speakers are waaaaay too big for my room but I'll play this by ear as I go along. :yes:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
congrats on you're new speakers Mom, if it were up to me id have 100 pairs of good speakers lass, the pair id love cost 42 thousand second hand lol and i doubt i get that in 5 years...we should all get a million a week instead of footballers, gawd i hate sport lol

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Rimmer36 said:
congrats on you're new speakers Mom, if it were up to me id have 100 pairs of good speakers lass, the pair id love cost 42 thousand second hand lol and i doubt i get that in 5 years...we should all get a million a week instead of footballers, gawd i hate sport lol
I've now realised speakers are more than just speakers when it comes to Hi-Fi. Yes, I knew there were good as well as not so/less than good speakers but I've recently experienced through experimentation the different sound qualities ( not just the sound quality) for myself by connecting different speakers to different amps. Speaker output differs from amp to amp, from analogue to digital, from the musical styles/genres played, variances in specifications and is affected by the shape, size and furnishings in a room so I've spent a couple of weeks trying all manner of speaker & amp combinations to find the most complimentary matches.

As I write I see my living room floor is has been invaded by speaker of all sizes, the next couple of days will see me coming to some conclusions with set-ups but I still have an ongoing dilemma: I need more shelves (again but in alcoves this time) so the son of my neighbour will take care of this for me as I'm not well enough to do this sort of thing nowadays. Above all, I just want to sit back and relax whilst listening to my favourite music being reproduced in the best possible way for the delight of my ears.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
been doing this for years lass lol...i'll tell you this it's much more rewarding than spending £1000 on a boombox and although my latest amp cost way to much its more rewarding than buying an m90....you can get much better value with home hifi and speakers but this can go on for life infarct it has for me...

would love to know and see you're amps and speakers lass :-D :yes: :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Oh dear, I thought someone would ask - here we go:

Amps:

Pioneer SX-300 (this produces a particularly 'warm' sound)
Pioneer SX-450
Pioneer SX-550

Technics SA-5460

Trio/Kenwood KR-2400 (will arrive in a day or two, I first owned one of these in the 1970's)

I'll consider buying more dedicated amps but only after I have everything else organised and settled. I also have a variety of of all-in-one units, mini Hi-Fi's and music centres which sound far better with better speakers than the ones they were supplied with.

Speakers (a few more to follow soon):

Aiwa MX-D91 ( with full Hi-Fi awaiting a couple of simple fixes)

Celestion Ditton 15
Celestion Hadleigh

G.E.C S1615

Kef Cantor II

Pioneer CS-30

Sony SS-A70E

Trio KL-220

Wharfedale 300
Wharfedale Delta 30
Wharfedale Denton 2XP (2 pairs)
Wharfedale Glendale XP2

I'm looking to acquire a couple more pairs of Kef speakers as the sound qualities are something rather special plus I have many pairs of speakers from music centres, smaller Hi-Fi's etc.

The largest of my speakers are the Wharfedale Glendale XP2 which are the size of bedside cabinets. :yes: :-D

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
quite an assortment you have Mom :w00t: i had about 15 pairs but i have parted with quite a few, i still have 5 pairs left though, you now have more than me lol :-) :hooray:

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
MyOhMy said:
Oh dear, I thought someone would ask - here we go:

Amps:

Pioneer SX-300 (this produces a particularly 'warm' sound)
Pioneer SX-450
Pioneer SX-550

Technics SA-5460

Trio/Kenwood KR-2400 (will arrive in a day or two, I first owned one of these in the 1970's)

I'll consider buying more dedicated amps but only after I have everything else organised and settled. I also have a variety of of all-in-one units, mini Hi-Fi's and music centres which sound far better with better speakers than the ones they were supplied with.

Speakers (a few more to follow soon):

Aiwa MX-D91 ( with full Hi-Fi awaiting a couple of simple fixes)

Celestion Ditton 15
Celestion Hadleigh

G.E.C S1615

Kef Cantor II

Pioneer CS-30

Sony SS-A70E

Trio KL-220

Wharfedale 300
Wharfedale Delta 30
Wharfedale Denton 2XP (2 pairs)
Wharfedale Glendale XP2

I'm looking to acquire a couple more pairs of Kef speakers as the sound qualities are something rather special plus I have many pairs of speakers from music centres, smaller Hi-Fi's etc.

The largest of my speakers are the Wharfedale Glendale XP2 which are the size of bedside cabinets. :yes: :-D
nice collection fairplay ! id say they all must sound good ! all being good brands to be fair id say you have great taste keep it up ! reno likes his pioneer stuff ! Technics for me hehehehehe or B&O hehehehe when it comes to hi fi gear ! pioneer started life just making speakers and dammed good ones at that . had a pair of pioneer turbo pro 3way speakers once they were very heavy and sounded fantastic very bass loaded and clear would love a pair again to be fair havent seen a pair for years !

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
If you love the Wharfedale sound & you have the room & funds then seek out a pair of Dovedale III's! Avoid the earlier Mk I & II versions though! They look identical to the Glendale's here but they are huge!
A rubber surrounded 12 inch woofer with a magnet you have to see to believe, a 5 inch mid range & 1 inch dome tweeter all fed by a hand built quality crossover!! These speakers will leave you glued to your chair with disbelief! Yeah, they really are that good! Be aware that the tweeters blow fairly easily on ALL this era of Wharfee's, but if you own a decent amp & speaker cabling & use it respectfully then it's unlikely to happen! I had 3 pairs of these & never blown a tweeter in any of them - Having the repair shop in the 90's we saw plenty of these come in for repair (We sent them to Wharfedale for repair) My colleague blew one of our own shop Denton XP tweeters with too much sudden volume on a cheap nasty low end amplifier (Mickey Mouse) Lesson learnt - I did warn him more than once! lol
Anyway - If you find a nice pair of Mk III Dovedales & you want to really enjoy that British warm sounding speaker sound - Buy them! It's that simple!! :-) :-) :-) Oh, & they are easy to drive very efficient but they demand a quality signal to make them do their stuff...............I keep looking but I have other commitments at the moment................

I wish I still had mine!! I love my Wharfee Xarus 5000 huge floorstanders & they do deliver but Dovedales they ain't!!

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
Nickeccles said:
If you love the Wharfedale sound & you have the room & funds then seek out a pair of Dovedale III's! Avoid the earlier Mk I & II versions though! They look identical to the Glendale's here but they are huge!
A rubber surrounded 12 inch woofer with a magnet you have to see to believe, a 5 inch mid range & 1 inch dome tweeter all fed by a hand built quality crossover!! These speakers will leave you glued to your chair with disbelief! Yeah, they really are that good! Be aware that the tweeters blow fairly easily on ALL this era of Wharfee's, but if you own a decent amp & speaker cabling & use it respectfully then it's unlikely to happen! I had 3 pairs of these & never blown a tweeter in any of them - Having the repair shop in the 90's we saw plenty of these come in for repair (We sent them to Wharfedale for repair) My colleague blew one of our own shop Denton XP tweeters with too much sudden volume on a cheap nasty low end amplifier (Mickey Mouse) Lesson learnt - I did warn him more than once! lol
Anyway - If you find a nice pair of Mk III Dovedales & you want to really enjoy that British warm sounding speaker sound - Buy them! It's that simple!! :-) :-) :-) Oh, & they are easy to drive very efficient but they demand a quality signal to make them do their stuff...............I keep looking but I have other commitments at the moment................

I wish I still had mine!! I love my Wharfee Xarus 5000 huge floorstanders & they do deliver but Dovedales they ain't!!
indeed nick im so looking for a pair ! just having the spends init , im after that whole range of wharfdale speaker as they all sound amazing ! yeah the dovedales are the ones really !