Viking SRC-7394 aka siemen club 794

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
You did the right think indeed, this unit has an egregious sound and a gorgeous Toshiba-look. The price was very well worth it, in my opinion.

For the records, your Viking is an aka but not an exact replica of the Siemens Club 794, a circumstance that makes the Viking unique.... well, almost: I own a no-name version, the Music Machine (no model number, no nothing).

When you look at the Viking/Music Machine side by side with the Siemens Club 794 you immediately spot the differences in the details of their design. Even if for comparison I use an aka of the 794 -- one that is also its cosmetic twin, the Audiologic JB1048B:

siemens_club_794_akas.jpg

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
DrmZ said:
Great find!
:thumbsup:
I've got the Yoko version.
Same look like samovar's Audiologic
This model (the Nippon/Yoko/Siemens Club/Audiologic and so on and so forth) is by far the most common one, although it does not grow on trees, so to speak. The differences with the Sound Machine/Viking version are minimal, both technically and cosmetically... I would say that whatever is missing in one is compensated by a missing feature in the other, so which one to prefer is definitely a matter of taste.

In doubt, I got myself both :w00t: ...plus the Siemens Club 796, which looks like the 794 but has a graphich equalizer instead of the bass/treble knobs, and a different deck. But of this unit I am temporarily unable to produce a pic cause at the moment it is in very capable hands for a general check-up... :-)

DrmZ

Member (SA)
Whats quite unique about your Music Machine and the Viking is that it has auto reverse but not a full logic tapedeck.
It looks like the pause button changes the direction of playback?
I dont know any other boombox that does this.
How does it work?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The Toshiba RT-200S does that as well. It's a manual deck with a button that changes direction of playback.

In fact I wouldn't doubt all these boxes were made by Toshiba, because the toggle switches feel exactly the same as the ones Toshiba uses.

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Reli said:
The Toshiba RT-200S does that as well. It's a manual deck with a button that changes direction of playback.

In fact I wouldn't doubt all these boxes were made by Toshiba, because the toggle switches feel exactly the same as the ones Toshiba uses.
I totally agree with you, especially because other Toshibas have this feature. In the RT 8590, for instance, the autoreverse label looks almost identical to that of the Sound Machine/Viking. Here's a picture taken from the net, since I do not own this box:

Toshiba_RT_8590.png
By the way, the Viking is definitely Canadian (Fabriqué à Hong Kong for/pour Eaton, Toronto, says the label of jays's specimen): here's a link to an old post by bill from Vancouver dispalying one from his collection:

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/2116-more-pictures-of-the-collection-had-to-use-my-old-camera/

jays

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2018
ottawa
docs said:
Would like to figure out which version has a service manual.
yeah I am trying to find one! I got some issue with mine, schematics dont seem to be too much popular with those. I am used to,the pinball world were almost every game even the super rare have schematics.

broome

Member (SA)
Sep 18, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I have a Viking 7394 in Ottawa, ON, Canada I would like to sell. It is working but shows wear.

This post probably should go in the "buy and sell" forum but I don't have enough posts to do that.

John