BIG BASS from a compact speaker. Down to 18hz.

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
If our passion was ONLY about, say, hifi quality or power of output, I guess nobody would collect boomboxes :lol: Impressive but not for me. At that price (the infamous ONLY $999) I'd rather buy myself a grail

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
ok my question is this?? it goes down to 16 but at what level or how much thump do you get at 16 hz,,,,,my system used to put out that much low bass it used to rattle my balls lol and even then you need the equipment to use it with, it can not be done by the speaker alone

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Frequency response data is useless unless it includes the decible dropoff. There's no way it can play 18 Hz as loudly as it can play 1,000 Hz, for example.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
panabox1 said:
Look at how small it is compared to its big brother which is already relatively small compared to high-end cabinet floor speakers. Pretty impressive if u ask me.
https://darko.audio/2018/10/future-fi-now-redux-devialet-announce-phantom-reactor/#jp-carousel-27518
the cost?????? :-) Ugly looks!

Reli said:
Frequency response data is useless unless it includes the decible dropoff. There's no way it can play 18 Hz as loudly as it can play 1,000 Hz, for example.
Plus if our ears can detect that.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You can't hear bass that low but you can feel it, also you have to have a pretty big woofer to keep it from distorting or blowing all together.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Looks like an evident upgrade path for Bose WaveRadio owners... Oops, no such creatures here or at Audiogon community :-)
I side with Superduper, it is a nice addition to the trashcan!

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
I’m surprised at the lack of respect torwards this speaker. There’s some amazing engineering behind this speaker and it could very well find its way into new-age retro boomboxes for boom box enthusiasts like us in here. In a short time Devialet has literally re-written the audio industry with its Phantom Gold speaker. This smaller speaker called the Reactor is a game charger, I believe.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Evidently, the only way to comment about audio is by hearing the product! My negativity is more with the reviewer: mini-monitors are famous for a few things valued in hi-end (and $1k for the minis is where hi-end is) but not for 18Hz reproduction. Imaging, right timbre, whatever, but not JSBach. The best "canned" soprano voice I experienced was through mini-monitors, and the reason I have floorstanders with ProAc sub is because my tastes in music are more pompous: Pink Floyd, Mahler, the 9th... But even mine, at multiples of $1, fail miserably with pipe organ! To position these as 18Hz blasters smells like WaveRadio: served to a different crowd, not us here...

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Jorge said:
Evidently, the only way to comment about audio is by hearing the product! My negativity is more with the reviewer: mini-monitors are famous for a few things valued in hi-end (and $1k for the minis is where hi-end is) but not for 18Hz reproduction. Imaging, right timbre, whatever, but not JSBach. The best "canned" soprano voice I experienced was through mini-monitors, and the reason I have floorstanders with ProAc sub is because my tastes in music are more pompous: Pink Floyd, Mahler, the 9th... But even mine, at multiples of $1, fail miserably with pipe organ! To position these as 18Hz blasters smells like WaveRadio: served to a different crowd, not us here...
Regarding it’s bigger brother, the Phantom Gold (which is still small), a reviewer had this to say about pipe-organ lows:

“It's fascinating to hear organ-pedal notes emerge so distinctly from such small speakers, as at about 8:30 into the third movement of Ralph Vaughan Williams's Symphony 7, Sinfonia antartica, with Kees Bakels conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (Naxos 8.550737). I've never heard another speaker in this price range that could reproduce those organ-pedal notes.”

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/devialet-diary-page-2#78YOBQmQeQZ4qU9u.99