9962 woofer distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewdawg

Member (SA)
Sep 24, 2018
Our nations capital, eh? Canada
Every time I go above low/medium volume, or medium/high on some of the tapes I’ve recorded, the bass starts to distort everything. Is this normal or are my speakers duds?

I read Jovie’s post about the capacitors, but that seemed to reference an improvement to tweeter highs alone. Would this also help with the bass distortion?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well every box will distort if you leave the bass on max, plus Loudness on.

That box actually makes very good bass. Certainly more than those Panasonics in your avatar. Good treble too.

You sure it's actual distortion? If the woofers make a rattling or scratching noise, they could be torn, or a wire could be rubbing against the cone.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
These are pretty formidable Boombox I would check the controls to make sure that the bass is turned back a little bit.
I would also check and clean the Record Bar because these can wreak all kinds of havoc on the sound

lewdawg

Member (SA)
Sep 24, 2018
Our nations capital, eh? Canada
I grabbed some DeoxIT today so I'll give the record bar a good clean. I know it naturally distorts at higher volume, I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't before the halfway mark.

Thanks guys :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
With the bass all the way up almost any box will distort at half volume.

I put some 9962 woofers in a conion and the s*** sounded awesome.
Anybody who remembers Autobot 84 it was his Conion I put the 9962 woofers in. I also upgraded his GF 777.

Status
Not open for further replies.