Hello from England

Pandarino

Sep 20, 2018
Yorkshire, UK
I wouldn't call this a collection, I've only got 4 I think.

I don't know how they work, or why I buy them. As I use random bluetooth headphones and spotify for my music. But, the ones I've bought is purely for aesthetics. If it looks stupid, I'll buy it.

It all started when I saw a Phillips D8714 for sale. It was the coolest thing i'd ever seen. The stick-on labels over the radio tuning dial said "classic FM, Radio 4 and Radio Humberside" These are old people stations, who the hell is using this ghetto blaster for old stations? I wish it had the microphones like I've seen in the repair manual, but sadly I do not have them.

Second up was a Sanyo RP 8700, which I don't think I can class as a boombox, but it again looked crazy, so I had to buy it.

Toshiba Rt-120s which is fine. Bit generic and was practically free.

Finally a National Panasonic RS-466RDS hits my "these are the coolest speakers grills I've ever seen" spot. It's got some weight to it, sounds great.

All of them need fixing/cleaning in some way.

D8714, appears to be working fine
Sanyo needs the volume dial cleaning, because it crackles and affects the radio signal. I think I also have to press a random button down to get FM.
Toshiba, the cassette doesn't work. Which doesn't really matter to me at the minute.
National Panasonic, snapped aerial which doesn't affect it, but the tape deck needs a service.

(The D8714 pic I have stolen from some website as I couldn't find my pics)

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Welcome.
That Phillips and Panasonic are nice scores ,I'm sure a lot of us would jump on that Phillips given the chance.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Pandarino said:
What's the best contact cleaner to buy over here?
If you don't want DeOxit, try Servisol or Kent Electric Cleaner II

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Pandarino said:
I can get the Servisol on Wednesday, how is wd40 contact cleaner? I can get it tomorrow and it's only a few quid more expensive than the Servisol.
DO NOT USE WD-40 on electronics. It is not a cleaner. The "WD" stands for "water displacement", and it leaves oil behind that collects dust and dirt - not good for switches and sliders.

Pandarino

Sep 20, 2018
Yorkshire, UK
Fatdog said:
I can get the Servisol on Wednesday, how is wd40 contact cleaner? I can get it tomorrow and it's only a few quid more expensive than the Servisol.
DO NOT USE WD-40 on electronics. It is not a cleaner. The "WD" stands for "water displacement", and it leaves oil behind that collects dust and dirt - not good for switches and sliders.
Not ordinary WD40, the contact cleaner version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD40D-701-321UK-WD-40-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B006UCJ5WQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537549142&sr=8-2&keywords=Wd40+contact

Attachments

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I've personally never used the stuff - actually have never even seen it until you posted it. :dunce:

Here's a data sheet on the WD-40 electrical cleaner:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00053/82218686-20130517.PDF

From a popular musicians' website:

This stuff is an alcohol based contact cleaner designed to clean and degrease things like switches and electrical plugs and connections which had carbon buildup and.

Since its a zero residue cleaner designed to clean carbon residue in switches, it should "not" be used to clean potentiometers. Zero residue cleaners can leave the contact pad completely dry and even accelerate the loss of carbon from the pads.

As an electronic tech I used all of these and more for decades. Anytime I've used a zero residue cleaner on pots (especially the newer plastic junk) It wipes the pot out in short order. It may seem fine for a day or two, but then the scratchiness is back worse then ever. The worst part is its now permanent because the carbon pad is stripped of carbon and there's no contact left for the brush.

When you clean pots ONLY use a lubricating contact cleaner designed to clean and lubricate pots. If you're not sure its the right stuff, look up the MSDS sheets and look for the lubricants. 9 times out of 10 if a pot is just full of dust and oxidation. If it went 5 years before getting scratchy, you can get another couple of years out of it before it needs replacement. (depending on the quality of the pot)

Most pot cleaners either have mineral oil and/or silicone lubricants that makes them turn smoothly and prevents electrical arcing. The lubricant also prevents the hard steel brush from wearing through the pad made of a thin layer of carbon.

... Spend the extra two dollars to buy the best and it should outlast you and the instrument with proper maintenance.

Pandarino

Sep 20, 2018
Yorkshire, UK
I've just collected this.

It needs refoaming and there's an issue with the tape-player motor that's always running, but it's not... It's strange. It's also missing a toggle switch cap. But, everything else seems to work including the light. 😄

Ebay has refoams in Russia, i didn't want to send my speakers to Russia for them to fix and have them send them back, as I don't trust couriers to send a parcel next door, never mind to and from Russia.

Luckily, I found this thread which seems to solve that problem.
http://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/28924-cheap-aiwa-cs-880-pick-up-re-foamed-2019/

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
5 inch angle mount foams for the main woofers and 6 inch flat attach foam for the radiator , I refoamed like 4 or 5 of these boxes. If you look on YouTube there are good videos on the steps involved , I love to see people tackle this job instead of the expense involved in having it done professionaly.

Pandarino

Sep 20, 2018
Yorkshire, UK
JVC Floyd said:
5 inch angle mount foams for the main woofers and 6 inch flat attach foam for the radiator , I refoamed like 4 or 5 of these boxes. If you look on YouTube there are good videos on the steps involved , I love to see people tackle this job instead of the expense involved in having it done professionaly.
The problem is I'm an idiot, I'll either break my speakers or glue my eyelids shut.