Adjusting Azimuth on GPO Brooklyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Ok guys. The Azimuth needed a slight tweak on my Brooklyn. Our vintage blasters have a door that easily pops off or a slot under the door that you can access the screw.

Well the Brooklyn doesn't. You must gently pry the front plastic window off the front of the door to access the screws holding the front door cover. Remove screws and front door trim. Then place your tape into the inner skeleton tray. Press play and use the Azimuth adjustment slot to take care of business.

Now my Brooklyn is as crisp as can be while playing a cassette.

20180915_170354.jpg

20180915_170206.jpg

20180915_165837.jpg

20180915_165811.jpg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Nicely done! I'm impressed that the GPO has a digital tape counter.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know where a knob is indexed? They don't appear to have any notches or indentations. Or am I just not seeing them?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Fatdog said:
Nicely done! I'm impressed that the GPO has a digital tape counter.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know where a knob is indexed? They don't appear to have any notches or indentations. Or am I just not seeing them?
That's actually a great question. The lettering on the box is just for show. When you turn the volume, balance, treble or bass knobs the screen at the top shows you what number you are on digitally. However, once you have completed the adjustment the screen jumps back to the function you are on and at that point the only way to know where you are on the indexing is to turn the knob again and reference the screen.

The scoop on the digital tape counter:

The digital counter for the cassette is not controlled by the cassette deck mechanism. As soon as the tape deck is powered up it starts counting like a timer and has a reset button.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I just got my GPO Brooklyn and love it. The size, feel and quality and sound are pretty darn good. Honestly one of the closest Boomboxes to the original ever built in the silver 1 pc box era!!! So why did you have to adjust azimuth already. Just curious?

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Was that cover damaged when you removed it? Just thinking if you could record the exact measurements a small pilot hole instead? Right in the midde of the O in Auto?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
baddboybill said:
I just got my GPO Brooklyn and love it. The size, feel and quality and sound are pretty darn good. Honestly one of the closest Boomboxes to the original ever built in the silver 1 pc box era!!! So why did you have to adjust azimuth already. Just curious?
Great question. Well...I had noticed that my tapes sounded dull only in the Brooklyn. I am guessing it was never exact from the factory. I knew my tapes were in top order. While playing a tape I made a slight clockwise adjustment and the clarity came right in. Went from semi muddy to very crisp.

It sounded "ok" and if I didn't already know how my tapes sounded and didn't have any other boxes to compare it to I probably wouldn't have paid much attention.

Others may not need to do this but I am very picky on my cassette decks. Surprisingly enough I am happy with the tape speed.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Transistorized said:
Great question. Well...I had noticed that my tapes sounded dull only in the Brooklyn. I am guessing it was never exact from the factory. I knew my tapes were in top order. While playing a tape I made a slight clockwise adjustment and the clarity came right in. Went from semi muddy to very crisp.

It sounded "ok" and if I didn't already know how my tapes sounded and didn't have any other boxes to compare it to I probably wouldn't have paid much attention.

Others may not need to do this but I am very picky on my cassette decks. Surprisingly enough I am happy with the tape speed.
Cool 😎 I’m gonna check mine

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
I did an azimuth adjustment by opening the door
and inserting the test tape with the door open
and reaching the screw from under the door
not sure if that will work with this box

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I think the Azimuth adjustment all boils down to Quality Control at the factory in my opinion maybe the workers just aren't familiar with tape decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.