Telefunken Studio M1 power up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR.GROOVE

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi Boomboxery friends,

First I want to apologize to you all for being absent for such a long time. There have been some personal issues that absorbed almost all of my time but we're back on track! (Btw: I still got all of my boomboxes!(thank GOD!))

I have bought myself a second Telefunken Studio M1 this week(my first one really has a lot of issues now and is almost worn out you could say).

The one I have bought this week gives a short wobbeling sound on the speakers when I turn it on but everything else functions okay

Can this be solved by changing the power supply??

I also want to change the light bulbs(three of them aren't working anymore) into LED. Can anyone tell me how I should do this and what I exactly need besides of the led's).

Greetings to you all from a cloudy Amsterdam in the Netherlands !

Kind regards,

Rob aka Mr. Groove

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Welcome back!

Speaker wobbles because of several issues.

Check the surrounds of the woofers and see if they are intact. If surrounds are deteriorated speakers can wobble and give distorted sound.

Bad smoothing capacitors in the AC to DC power supply can also cause wobbling and distorted sound.

You can isolate the power supply issue by connecting to an external power supply, but be careful with the polarity of the connector. If by mistake it is reversed that can be a total disaster.

More experienced fellow members here can be of more help if you can explain the problem a little more better.

Good luck with the fixing!

~Royce

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Every Telefunken I've seen made a brief half-second "thud" and flex of the woofers when turned on. I own another model (Uher Mini-Port) that does it even more, making the woofers reach full excursion when turned on. :w00t:

MR.GROOVE

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Thanks for your replies, Guys! :bow:

My old Telefunken studio 1 doensnt have the wobbling sound from the woofers(it is only a few seconds) when i turn it on so i think i will interchange the power supplies to start with.

The sound and woofers from the new one are further okay.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
This is the sign of a powerful but primitive amp section . this by no means is a bad thing but back then they didn't have anti thump turn on circuit like they do now. Even some good car audio equipment suffers from this problem they overcame it but it cost more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.