Has this ever happened to you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
so i was moving stuff around in my bedroom, i heard a bang, turned around and there is my GF9500 on the floor, i picked it up and plugged it in, now the left channel sounds crunchy like the woofer is blown, i tried a different woofer and its still the same, so im assuming the i.c is damaged somehow.. im rather gutted about it.. im not asking for a solution, im just curious to know if its a common thing. thanks a lot.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Is it possible that something was just knocked loose? Have you opened it up yet to inspect?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Hi Ghettoman.

Plug in a set of headphones to see if the sound is distorted through that as well. By doing this you can confirm if it's in the signal that the amp is seeing and at the same time it helps clean the headphone jack which can cause this issue.

Next. Select all functions. Radio, tape, auxiliary. Does it do it for all of them? Sometimes it can also have a bad connection that jarring the unit may have caused.

If its distorted through headphones and on all functions, I'm going to say that the issue may be more likely to do with a damaged potentiometer. Especially if it landed on its face and the dials are on the front.

That would be my guess.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Sorry for the late reply guys, i sorted it now but it took a day to do it, i changed the amp unit (plug in board) still the same, and because i have no tapes i could only test using the tuner, so i changed the tuner unit (all plug in) it was still the same, so i knew the problem was on the main board, i used parts off 2 other scrap 9500s to get it working, and the woofers i replaced with a set from a VZ2000, so now its kinda like a frankensharp :-) i actually prefer the red woofers, they look nice.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Were you able to narrow down the area that was giving the issue? I enjoy learning the resolution to issues for future references.

Good job by the way. It's nice to have extra parts :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.