Looking for a Sanyo M4500LU

Sanyo m4500 m4500lu wanted

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hello fellow boom boxers! I'm hoping I've come to the right place! Through my research over the last day I've discovered the cassette/radio I'm looking for is a Sanyo M4500LU. I at one point had one of these but over the years and moves it can no longer be found :(
I've noticed a few forum member that own these and I was hoping/wondering if any of you wonderful people would be willing to help a guy restore a part of his childhood and parting with your nostalgic tape player. Or if not could you point me in the direction of someone that would possibly have one?
Thanks in advance!!
PS, it needs to the the LU modle. There's a few KE's for sale right now but my understanding is they are 220v. The LU is selectable like the K modle between 110/220

#2 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

I know a collector that’s just picked a second one up.
Shipping to Canada is going to be horrendously expensive. Probably better to keep your eyes peeled for something more local.

#3 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

I will keep this info in the "possibility" pile. If nothing pops up and he's not too steep on the price I would be willing to ignore and eat the high shipping cost.

#4 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:15 PM

Great choice of box - Sanyo amps of this era definitely sound more ‘HiFi’ than ‘boombox’.

I’ve got the M4500K version - not sure if it has a voltage selector?!

#5 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yeah I really miss my old one. I never really used the tape player and only used it for its amazing radio! I'm after a black modle and the KE version is 220 only and dc, (from my research so far anyway) but the fm band is shorter by a little. The LU goes to 108mhz. So your K version doesn't have voltage select? What does the fm band cut off at on that version?

#6 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:55 AM

Yeah I really miss my old one. I never really used the tape player and only used it for its amazing radio! I'm after a black modle and the KE version is 220 only and dc, (from my research so far anyway) but the fm band is shorter by a little. The LU goes to 108mhz. So your K version doesn't have voltage select? What does the fm band cut off at on that version?

Hi,

The K version has the same FM frequency range as the US models running up to 108.

Here is my K version which has the silver front and chromed switches and knobs (black on the US version) and white background on the battery/ tuner strength VU meter.
Attached File  7E04E0B3-34B5-43BE-8F43-4F99F5968A92.png   642.85K   4 downloadsAttached File  ADEDF11E-E8AC-4AFB-8C92-8FD813EDFA81.png   681.97K   6 downloads

Incidently, the ‘phono in’ works beautifully with an attenuator - you can see one connected on the right of each of the pics above.

I’ll check tonight to see if it has a voltage selector. :-)

Edit: No voltage selector - 240 volts only.

#7 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

INTERESTING!! there are K versions of that radio floating around North America that look identical to that in every way but they have a 110/220 voltage switch right beside where the power cord plugs in. I've tracked one of those down and might pull the trigger on it just to keep me semi satisfied until I find a LU

#8 muchkusblin

muchkusblin
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hi there. Would give you 220 V version for free which i now have, but you'll need to cover the shipping charges from EU. The condition is good overall, but the tuner glass is cracked and one VU is not working. I've opened it, made some deoxit cleaning to controls ( still scratchy) However, you can find tons of offers for that in Germany. This is the one that i will part with without any regret. 

Forgot to mention: mine's is totally black.

#9 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:16 AM

I'm in contact with a Canadian dealer right now so I may end up with one lined up a little closer! Your offer is definitely going to be noted though! That's extremely generous of you!! What would the shipping rates be on something like that from eu do you figure?

#10 muchkusblin

muchkusblin
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

I'm in contact with a Canadian dealer right now so I may end up with one lined up a little closer! Your offer is definitely going to be noted though! That's extremely generous of you!! What would the shipping rates be on something like that from eu do you figure?

Sorry, i haven't seen your reply. My estimate the shipping would be 80-100 Loonies. I think that you can find M4500 on Kijiji for better deal. If not the offer's here for sometime (If i need some parts for other bboxes, this M4500 will be sacrifice)  

#11 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:41 AM

I finally found one! It had to travel from Poland to Canada and it required actually knowing someone in Poland in order for me to get it, but it's been done! I paid more than the thing is worth (when factoring in shipping and tossing a couple bucks to some buddies that helped me) but alas I finally have a duplicate copy of the cassette radio my grandpa gave me

Attached File  image.jpeg   122.25K   5 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   122.25K   5 downloads

#12 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:19 AM

Congrats,

They are definitely a nice sounding box. That one does look nice in black!

#13 Guest_KushAphex_*

Guest_KushAphex_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

It sure does sound great. It's been awhile and I forgot how good these sound when the volume is turned up!
Would you happen to know what the thing I need is called so I can hook a phone/MP3 player up to it. I recall reading somewhere that you can't just hook it straight to these boxes cause there won't be any volume to it

#14 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:53 AM

You need a phono attenuator to connect between the box and the iPhone.
You can get them on eBay. I use my 4500 this way and it sounds really nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sanyo, m4500, m4500lu, wanted