Not quite a Baby Boomer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hello everyone

thought I'd say Hi and waffle on a bit. I bought my first boombox as a 17yr old about to go to college and desperately needing a music source. I still have it - a Hitachi 3D2 - served me well, and I used it to record tons of guitar riff ideas too...despite it leaving a horrible squelch sound on tape every time I pressed stop after recording! That mini-beast is currently getting a proper service at last - doing it myself and loving learning all about the technical side. Boomboxery is proving very useful.

After recently fixing my brother's monster JVC CD multichanger box (just needed to wipe the laser...some people eh?), I kinda got the fixing bug installed in me - when straight on to Ebay and googled 'vintage boombox', looking for something old and in need of tlc. I'm now the proud guardian of my second ever boombox...a Sanyo M9990L. My God! I had no idea this sort of quality ever existed in radio cassette players. I deducted from the dusty encrusted aroma that it had had one owner from new who had really looked after it....or just hardly ever used it - not sure which (it was sold by a charity shop). It all works 'part from a couple of LCD segments and a tiny buzz in the left hand tweeter if you stick your ear to it. Oh and there's a big crack in the tuner dial should anyone by some miracle have a spare? The tape player is a revelation - glorious dynamic sound, bang on for speed after checking too. Just blows me away considering it's almost 40 years old.

So that's the story of how I found you. I'm done with vinyl for the time being....it's tape all the way. Must be gettin' older now and not hearing the hiss so much..

Anyway, this is a great resource here, so basically thanks!
Tim

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Tim! We are glad to have you as part of the brotherhood. :thumbsup: :cool: Nice introduction, by the way.

Post some pics in the Collection area when you get a chance.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Evening Tim, yep great intro and nice to have you aboard. You are right that Sanyo is a beast, they sound so good and backed by that awesome Sanyo quality. One of my favorite brands.

Welcome to the party pal.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Bit sheepish about posting pics in Collections as I only have the two boxes, so I thought I'd post one pic here. The problem is I have to admit to being an idiot right now and I can't work out how to post a pic. I should be booted off!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Welcome Tim. As others have said, the 9990 is a great sounding box. Lots of bass considering it’s relatively small size. Definitely a box worth getting. The 3D2 is a nice little box too, great to have kept it all this time :-)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
You came to the right place for folks that like to tinker and fix boxes. For me the real reward is enjoying.

Welcome to the forum :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.