Upgrading heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I have some single-direction (no auto-reverse) play heads from high-end decks that have the same holes as the heads in my boxes do. If you tried this, what happened to the sound?

I thought it would be cool if I could pop one in and see improvement, but I'm afraid the head windings and input circuits may vary too much to even consider.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
caution said:
...but I'm afraid the head windings and input circuits may vary too much to even consider.
I agree with you about this compatibility.
If your heads are in good condition, my advice is don't try to replace it.

I have the same problem with one of my boomboxes before many years ago.
I replaced 3 or 4 head to find the perfect.

Superduper

Member (SA)
You can't "upgrade" heads without changing the tape circuitry as the circuitry is calibrated and designed specifically for each head. A tape head isn't just a piece of hardware. Just like any electronics components, they have certain qualities such as inductance, etc. For example, here is a chart of how different heads compare.

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Tape_Recording/Heads/RP_heads_measured.htm

As you can see, results fall all over the place, making it unlikely that a head plucked from any one machine will work properly in another. Even if you can test trial and error to find one that "seemingly" plays correct, there is probably still measurable differences that you can't hear with ears, or might perform differently during record since erase and record current strength can be altered.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
JVC Floyd said:
I've replaced heads with great results. They're a pain in the ass to solder though.
I dont see any problem about compatabilty its just a pickup and would work on any deck. I have done this before on cheap decks and worked a treat. Sometimes you can lose a channel this can fix that problem.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
caution said:
I have some single-direction (no auto-reverse) play heads from high-end decks that have the same holes as the heads in my boxes do. If you tried this, what happened to the sound?

I thought it would be cool if I could pop one in and see improvement, but I'm afraid the head windings and input circuits may vary too much to even consider.
Great idea for the thrashed-out, rusted or worn to the bone heads, thanks for the tip! I think the result might be similar to different carts for different arms: Koetsu Jade fits the beasts like Graham or SME won't sound so grand on my Aro. But it will sound better than a worn/broken cart :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.