Question for you car guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
So these valve covers (Edelbrock elite) come stock with black painted valleys between the center slats. Along the perimeter are a series of "fake" black plastic Allen head bolts except 3 on top row are real. I plan to replace all those Allen bolts (real and fake) with stainless steel ones and fake ones will require drilling and tapping (whereas fake ones just pushed in like a plug). With stainless hardware, it will have a slightly different look.

But a thought came to mind. With Chevy engines being orange, I had this idea to paint the slat valleys orange to match the engine color, then sand off and repolish the cover including all the slat edges. I had to spray more paint than I wanted to because the paint mostly lands on the edges of the slats and not the valleys so in order to get coverage in the deep valleys, the slat edges have too much paint. It doesn't matter because the plan was to sand off the paint anyhow.

But now that I got started, the pre-sanded orange center is starting to grow on me. I realize that currently, the slat edges have too much paint but I can sand it off and repaint with a new thin coat.

So my question is this: which do you think looks more attractive and what should I do? Stick with original plan to sand off the slat edges and polish, or leave center section entirely orange including the slat edges? Neither valve cover has been polished yet so keep that in mind.

BBC6.JPG

BBC7.JPG

BBC8.JPG

BBC9.JPG

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I could go either way but that little bit of extra detail in sanding off the surface again really floats my boat.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I say sand off the slat edges. :yes: The detail just seems to get lost in all that color.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Right, so stick with the original plan then? The reason I had second thoughts is because once the edges are sanded clean, there is far less "orange." Right now, they aren't polished yet which might make a big difference.

blu_fuz said:
I could go either way but that little bit of extra detail in sanding off the surface again really floats my boat.

Fatdog said:
I say sand off the slat edges. :yes: The detail just seems to get lost in all that color.
Reli said:
Black valleys and orange edges would be my choice.
What? How do I do that? I'm not exactly a glutton for punishment, lol.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Just tape off the polished sides of the cover, then nuke everything black, then use a brush to apply orange on the edges. Might be tough to do it accurately, but IMO it would look good.

Even better, make decals that match the exact size & shape of the edges, and use them to mask off the orange you already applied. Then spray the valleys black. I think that would be more accurate than trying to brush-paint the edges.

robgmn

Member (SA)
Apr 28, 2018
I say sand the edges of the slats too.
Gives it a more "finished" look (plus I used to do the same on the valve covers for engines I worked on. Black wrinkle paint, then sand off the paint on the lettering and raised ares).

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Let me know when you get her finished I'll put her in my truck I have a 1990 Chevy Silverado step side 4 x 4.
Should bolt right in lol.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
That's a beautiful motor I love the Simplicity of a V8 my other favorite motor is a straight 6 my third favorite motor is a slant 6 by Chrysler.

That motor looks great I would just keep doing what you're doing and just say f*** it.

I would build that motor you can find any f****** car to shove it in . That motor is the most important part and the transmission.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Transmission.... yeah you had to remind me. With big block torque somewhere around 500+ ft/lbs, all the cheaper options go out the door. Sure a simple TH400 will work but I want a 4-spd and TH700 ain’t gonna cut it so now we looking at 4L70E(barely capable at 495ft/lb rated). Rather a brand new (no core) GM Performance 4L85E (685 ft/lb rated) is the way to go. The problem? $3500 for transmission & $1500 for the controller, so another $5k.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
Superduper said:
Transmission.... yeah you had to remind me. With big block torque somewhere around 500+ ft/lbs, all the cheaper options go out the door. Sure a simple TH400 will work but I want a 4-spd and TH700 ain’t gonna cut it so now we looking at 4L70E(barely capable at 495ft/lb rated). Rather a brand new (no core) GM Performance 4L85E (685 ft/lb rated) is the way to go. The problem? $3500 for transmission & $1500 for the controller, so another $5k.
Why not buy one from a dismantler and rebuild it? That should only be half the cost and you still end up a stout transmission.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
neanderthal said:
Why not buy one from a dismantler and rebuild it? That should only be half the cost and you still end up a stout transmission.
You could also go with a heavy duty truck transmission then all you need is a drive shaft and a rear that can take the power.
Actually that motor is probably better off in a work truck rather than a car at least a truck can work lol. Hell even a truck like an old Chevy C10 would be f****** awesome.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I would say finish it and sell it probably get a nice price for it you can take that money and relax or go on a trip.

I'm sure there's somebody out there with a nice car thats too lazy to build a motor lol.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I could sell it, heck might do it if I can’t find an affordable body soon. But the whole reason is because I know all too well that time is running out and I wanna re-experience the thrills I had when I was young once more, which I miss desperately. This probably my last shot before walkers & canes & handicap placards, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.