Living Off-Grid in Southern Georgia on a Permaculture Homestead

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
Hello everyone,

My name is Alex and I'm building a home called an Earthship (earthship.com) on 4 acres in southern Georgia. We are running on Solar, growing our own food, making biogas, raising chickens and ducks (and cats, but they don't count). Lots more coming soon.

I started getting my boomboxes this year only to find that they wouldn't run on the solar power. I was very distraught and thought that I'd just hook a solar panel up to the battery connections in the battery compartments. That's where I realized that there's a setting in the inverter that will allow you to use electronics on the system! Whew!

Anyway, I'm very happy to have my Boomboxes blasting when I'm working out in the wild. Boomboxes in the wild :)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Welcome Alex, Be careful with solar unless you are connecting your boomboxes to the inverter 120v AC port, rather than a direct DC in port or to the battery connections in the compartment. Solar panel voltages can vary wildly and can rise to very high levels in strong sunlight. The boomboxes probably don't have adequate over voltage protection if connected in the battery compartment.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I would love to live off the grid and it where I live in Maryland they actually encourage solar power rainwater collection and all that. they give you tax rebates for it. they f*** you on everything else though. WHere i live there's more money that you can shake a f****** stick at you'd be surprised at the amount of houses that have solar on the roofs even Rich m************ want to save money lol. My land is all paid for it's like sitting on the f****** gold mine. My next door neighbor I swear own several thousand acres of land and each acre is worth over $100,000.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
My point is you're lucky to have a place to build something like that I would love to but the county would never let me do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.