Panasonic RX-5150 tape motor slows momentarily once in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
Any idea why my tape motor would slow momentarily and then go back to normal every now and again? If I need a new motor, do you know where I would look for such a thing? I mean, is there a good place to go for parts for all of these great old BOOMboxes?

I'm trying to restore this old beast. I got the tape player to work and it's as clean as it can be with a polished window. Everything works now, but the tape player has this occasional "warble".

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It's more than likely needing new belts. Maybe even a new pinch roller.

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
toshik said:
toshik, thanks for that. I was thinking this could be the issue. I have another identical (better shape) panasonic rx-5150 and it's doing a similar thing. Do you just look around on ebay for a replacement motor or is there a great place that you go to find such things? I appreciate the help, BTW, very much!

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
Superduper said:
I'm pretty sure a generic 2400 rpm replacement motor will work in this application. Sunshine_AX, PM me if you need one.
Thank you SuperDuper! I have located a replacement on eBay, but I need to raise the cash to get it. It's $20, but the nature of my work means that I can be that broke! The one on eBay is the exact motor that I need. Same part number and everything. If it sells before I get to it, I'll definitely be calling on you. Thanks again!

toshik said:
First I purchased one on ebay not 100% identical, might still have it laying around, then came by the same model donor :-)
Thanks for the info toshik. I did find one on eBay. I did a google search and it took me to the listing. Funny thing, I couldn't find it directly on eBay. Huh. Who knows why.

caution said:
My 5150 has this one inside
caution, THAT's THE ONE! I'm waiting until I can get the cash in the bank to get that one. I'm way out in the country right now. I actually have $22 in my pocket, but cash doesn't do you any good on eBay ;)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.