Pinch Roller Stuck - WITH TAPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Hi All-

I've been very motivated, since joining, and seeing all the love folks put into their boomboxes. The few bomboxes I have bring me daily joy...and sometimes frustration (but rare).

I got an issue of trying to salvage a pinch roller that appears to still have bits of cassette tape wrapped around the shaft. The box has one large PCB from the back and TBH scared to go in that direction. I'm doing that with my other, much easier to maintain box. I spent hours trying to salvage the tape, then another hour trying to move the tape in sections.

The 920 allows great access to the pinch roller. Once I removed as much tape as I could, and hit play the roller wouldn't spin. I applied some Rubber Renue and cleaned the roller and then she started to spin...at what looks like close to normal speed. I still can see a very (like mm's in width) fine strand of crunched tape....but it is impossible to slice, pluck, or pick it.

I also cleaned the capstan and when a cassette in it played VERY VERY slow. I tried at different parts of the cassette, so see if it would play normal...but it's always very slow.

Does anyone have any ideas to free or even dissolve....I know i'm reaching there ;)..... the tape or otherwise get the pinch roller moving properly. When I spin the roller with my fingers, there is some more resistance then typical.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah these can be a pain. If it's possible to pop the roller out that is the Best way to ensure a clean. I use a watch makers link remover for this, works a treat.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Thanks Tre!

I just signed up for a local electronics course. Gonna learn me some soldering! I've watched enough videos to know this is something I'm qualified for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.