VZ-2000 sliders off 3d printer

GreasyT

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2017
So I've got a box that needs some real work. Left channel is very feint and there's a crack in the turntable PCB originating from the post that holds it in place. All of that is for another day.

Missing sliders is more the topic at hand and a common point of discussion. Somewhere in the archives of this forum are models ready for a 3d printer of those sliders, the alternative is the ebay listing out of russia for $70. My local public library has a 3d print service where you only pay the process time. I sent in a test run of the slider models and it looks like a win. Will definitely need some sanding and planning on painting them to match the existing ones. This test run only cost me $0.40.

Attached pic shows some of the texture that the printer imparts as well as the platform that needs to be trimmed but I figure between sanding and paint it should look pretty bang-on.

image-20180531_093413.jpg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Not bad for only $.40. A little bit of sanding and some paint... you'll be good to go.

I wish my local library had 3D print service. :-/ :sad:

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
This is awesome. Soon enough, 3-D printers are going to be a very helpful tool to the greater boombox community.

I've seen templates online for complete boombox enclosures. They were a bit on the expensive side, but prices will only come down.

I'm an engineer by trade and work with a lot of AutoCAD technicians. I'd imagine CAD...or similar software... is used by the 3D printer. I haven't taken the opportunity to learn about the technology, but looks like I will be checking out soon!

HRmeteohub

Member (SA)
Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
My daughter started working with old (phased-out) 123D from Autocad. It is an entry-level CAD, but just good enough for stuff like these sliders and so on.
The price of 1kg of ABS or PLA is about 20Eur. And there are kit 3D printers for under 200Eur on ebay that produce the print-out just like one GT had shown above.

pete

Dec 31, 2017
Salem,Oregon
I have a 3D printed "power button" that I modeled from a broken one. It has to be sanded down to fit like the original and painted "chrome". Some one out here might be able to 3D scan one of these after it fits well.

Reactions: Loveitload

dja2987

Member (SA)
Jul 30, 2018
Do you have models for slider knobs/power button to share? I'd like to get a few extra knobs and a new power button, but modeling is $80/hr.