Guidance/info on these speakers/woofers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDood723

Member (SA)
Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys, just a quick question. My uncle has all these different sized speakers/woofers from someone who built competition trucks (the competitions where they see who has the baddest bassiest woofers I guess). There are a few sets of 6.5 inch ones and my TRK-8200 has one low sounding, faded woofer. These would fit the screw holes, have to check depth. The issue is, there aren't any specs on them... Is the print in these pics of any help/use? This would be my first woofer replacement, and I'd need to know they're compatible with the 8200... any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as always... Thank you 😁 (also I'm new to speakers and have been trying to understand ohms and the importance of that kind of thing.. not much luck tho

IMG_20180526_164601.jpg
IMG_20180526_164611.jpg
IMG_20180526_164627.jpg
IMG_20180526_164707.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The best way to test the impedances to probe the terminals with a multimeter and it will show the exact resistance. Just set the multimeter to ohms and put the positive to positive and negative to negative.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Boomboxes typically use full range speakers. If you go with these, and they are true “subwoofers”, you may find they have good bass but overall sound quality lacking and muffled as they can’t reproduce mids & highs well, if at all. These look like they are really beefy & heavy. Not sure if the plastic cabinets can handle them and almost certainly couldn’t be safely shipped if installed for fear of cracking cabinets due to the extra stress. However all this might be moot. You’d have to check & confirm but they most likely are too deep to fit anyhow, as most classic 1-pc Boomboxes use quite shallow drivers.

TheDood723

Member (SA)
Oct 5, 2017
Thanks J and Super for the advice 😁. I'll look into full ranges then 😎

Also, 2.8ohm rating on the back of my stock 8200 speakers... 2.8? That doesn't sound common at all 😶

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
2.8 ohms is the lowest I've heard of for a boombox speaker, some are as low as 3 ohms . if you get some 4 ohm car speakers you should be fine.

TheDood723

Member (SA)
Oct 5, 2017
4ohms should be okay? Alrighty thank you 😊, also can someone explain how to know what speakers are compatible with boxes? With the ohms and watts thing I'm just like "uh... Huh?"

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
BassHead said:
I'm to be corrected. I though they were rounded to the nearest number, but others would know better.
Sometimes the ohms are rounded to the nearest number . I.e a 3.96 ohm woofer would be considered 4 ohms.

The impedance of a woofer can change over its useful range depending on Peaks and dips in the music. Meaning resistance increases with high output and decreases with low output. This resistance change can only be measured at the amplifier under load. A 4 ohm woofer can drop the 2.5 ohms during a high musical Peak then revert back to a 4-ohm load at the amplifier. it's like a motor you have to give it more gas to go up a hill then you do to go down a hill and the weight of the vehicle increases going uphill as far as the engine is concerned.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
TheDood723 said:
4ohms should be okay? Alrighty thank you , also can someone explain how to know what speakers are compatible with boxes? With the ohms and watts thing I'm just like "uh... Huh?"
For an analogy I read:
Say you have two 100 gallon / liter water tanks and each tank represents a 100 watt amplifier.

One tank has a garden hose attached to it, while the other tank has a two inch diameter hose attached to it.

The garden hose = 8ohm speaker
The bigger 2 inch hose = 4ohm speaker.

The 8ohm speaker, like the garden hose, is a resistance to flow.
The bigger hose, or 4ohm speaker offers less resistance to flow; so it will require more current / water.
The bigger requirement can only be met by a bigger water tank, or an amplifier that is rated for 4ohm speakers.

Therefore if you use a larger ohm speaker, your amp may or may not be able to handle it. If you were using a lower ohm speaker I would think you are in the clear.

This is something I learnt in physics in College...but didn't fully pay attention...so hopefully others can chime in and clarify / confirm.

But make sure the speaker will even fit into your box. Those boxes are tight and it's tough to find one that has a shallow enough depth to even work.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
TheDood723 said:
Those are probably going to be too deep for a boombox.

Your best bet is to search on Partsexpress or Ebay. Matter of fact I saw some 2.8 ohm Sony woofers on Ebay the other day.

4 ohm replacements would work, but they are more restrictive than 2.8 ohm, meaning you'll probably have to turn the volume up higher to get the same amount of sound. But that's not really a big deal. It won't damage anything. And there's a lot more 4 ohm speakers out there than 2.8. So that's your best option IMO.

Superduper

Member (SA)
BassHead said:
Therefore if you use a larger ohm speaker, your amp may or may not be able to handle it. If you were using a lower ohm speaker I would think you are in the clear.

This is something I learnt in physics in College...but didn't fully pay attention...so hopefully others can chime in and clarify / confirm.
This is incorrect. A higher numerical impedance load is less stressful on an amplifier than a lower numerical impedance load. So it is safer to stick with 4-ohm drivers opposed to 2.8 ohm drivers.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Nothing beats the art of listening! A few weeks ago I substituted burned 4" speaker (well, both of them to be consistent) onto Hitachi and I totally love the sound! Had to do some "plastic surgery" to accommodate for huge magnets, but the end result sounds OK!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Superduper said:

This is incorrect. A higher numerical impedance load is less stressful on an amplifier than a lower numerical impedance load. So it is safer to stick with 4-ohm drivers opposed to 2.8 ohm drivers.
It suprises me how many get it wrong. Not to mention confusing Output power with Music power. The output power of the amp stays the same however you can increase music power by lowering the resistance.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia

hopey said:
Therefore if you use a larger ohm speaker, your amp may or may not be able to handle it. If you were using a lower ohm speaker I would think you are in the clear.This is something I learnt in physics in College...but didn't fully pay attention...so hopefully others can chime in and clarify / confirm.
It suprises me how many get it wrong. Not to mention confusing Output power with Music power. The output power of the amp stays the same however you can increase music power by lowering the resistance.
Incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.