I'm Not Sure If This Can Be Fixed..........................

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I feel some forum members may have wondered why my visits to the site and posts are less frequent than they used to be so I hope this post, which I am finding very clumsy & difficult indeed, will go some way to explain this.

Around late September/early October last year I lost a little weight and then put quite a bit on (or so it felt) as my stomach was a little larger than usual, having always been slimly built it was more noticeable to me than it was to others. Over the next few weeks I frequently felt nauseous and was sick often, I experienced acid build up in my stomach with bouts of my my stomach contents 'backing up' to my throat (not the same as being sick) along with acid reflux. Any food I ate would take up to 10hrs to get through my stomach so my quality of sleep was poor and I was constantly tired as a result. I also experienced several other symptoms which I didn't realise were all connected.

A Doctor's appointment in January resulted in a referral to hospital and several tests to get to the bottom of what was going on. The first test test procedure involved a Endoscopy which was not successful as my gag-reflexes went crazy and, once the surgeon pushed the camera a little further down my throat, I found myself shouting for Ralph: RAAAAAAAAAAALLLPPPHHH!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: at the top of my voice! The additional problem here was the fact that I was a long term smoker until December and this has caused serious damage to my lungs to the point that I now only have a small lung capacity. So...............try shouting RAAAAAAAAAAALLLPPPHHH!!! yourself and see how well you can breathe - you can't. So the Endoscopy could not be carried out.

A successful barium swallow series of tests and a scan were carried out and this has revealed I am suffering from Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (S.M.A.S. - link 2) as well as having (non cancerous) polyps or polyps type growth(s) in my throat which may have been caused by acid reflux or my 'gagging' symptoms due to the S.M.A.S..

I have now been very tired, even terribly exhausted, for many months as my body isn't getting the nutrients from foods that my body needs and my sleep patterns have been chaotic, the damp/humid weather we've endured in UK for many months have played absolute havoc with my breathing and all of this has taken it's toll on my health.

My surgeon has told me that Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (S.M.A.S.) is rare, it's serious and it's life threatening. The throat issue needs further investigation prior to surgical intervention but, as I will end up shouting RAAAAAAAAAAALLLPPPHHH!!! again, my surgeon is struggling to find a way to fix this. As for the S.M.A.S. problem, there are two options:

1) Insert a stent into the Duodenum using an Endoscopy via my throat - this can not be done due to the gag reflex/'Ralph' issues just as above.

2) Surgery while under general anaesthetic - this also can not be done because my lungs have been so badly damaged by smoking that a general anaesthetic would be too dangerous for me.

My surgeon recommends I eat only 'soft food' and lose weight by going on a diet!!! :w00t: :-/ :annoyed: Dear me, I have spent most of my life fighting hard to maintain my weight as putting weight on/maintaining a healthy weight has always been difficult for me. I have never been on a diet in my life as I've never really put weight on!

All the above is why I have been quiet on the forum and in my life over the last few months. This is where I am at today with my health, my surgeon is trying desperately to find a way to operate on me but hasn't found the answers yet so I don't know what the future holds. My atheism will stop any god fearing rubbish affecting me and, so far, I'm keeping nice and calm about all these issues.

As I said earlier, I have found myself being very clumsy at writing this and this is the shortest version with quite a bit of info omitted as there is just to much to explain in full. Most of my life has been an excellent adventure and boomboxes have been a recent part of this. I'll still do what I can and, if my surgeon pulls a rabbit out of a hat, I'll let you know. :yes:

*Special thanks to St Nick (nickeccles) for his enduring help through moral support, humour and for being St Nick.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Hearing this makes me sick .
I hope the best for you, as a long term smoker I won't be far behind you . I think the only thing preserving me is whiskey and cigarettes. I try to smoke myself to death because my life is work and worries with almost no excitement. I'm almost 49 and can't even imagine living 10 more years. I can't believe I made it this long. I had back problems so bad , I couldn't even crawl into a hole to die .

Most days I have a hard time finding even one legitimate reason the live.
I guess the moral is , its ****ed up how life does the good people sometimes , all I can do is say rock on the best you can and I hope things go well.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
JVC Floyd said:
Hearing this makes me sick .
I hope the best for you, as a long term smoker I won't be far behind you . I think the only thing preserving me is whiskey and cigarettes. I try to smoke myself to death because my life is work and worries with almost no excitement. I'm almost 49 and can't even imagine living 10 more years. I can't believe I made it this long. I had back problems so bad , I couldn't even crawl into a hole to die .

Most days I have a hard time finding even one legitimate reason the live.
I guess the moral is , its farked up how life does the good people sometimes , all I can do is say rock on the best you can and I hope things go well.
I appreciate your very kind words and my heart goes out to you for all you're going through. I smoked for 54 years, I was the smartest kid on the block when I started - old folk, eh - what do they know?! In December I could often walk only a few short steps due to the state of my lungs and it was this that finally made me quit. I'd prepared a cigarette that day, sat down to smoke it but found I didn't have enough lung capacity to light the cigarette - quitting had been forced upon me and was easy. I had tried to quit many times over the years and always failed this time was different as I couldn't physically smoke a cigarette.

I look on the bright side if I can: I lived life to the full in my earlier years and enjoyed just about every minute of it. My life is different now and, no matter how bad things may get, there are many people in a far less advantageous position than myself.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Man, I really dislike reading posts like this. It is a reminder that old(er) age and human frailty catch us all at some point. Maybe staying off the cancer sticks and updating your diet will start to get you back on a healthier path.

Plus, enjoy music at every chance. A Harvard University study shows that music can be beneficial to good health. :dj-party: :breakdance: :stereo: :dog: :rock:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Sorry to read this Lass....my health is so bad i don't want to go into it, it's not appropriate here lol, ask St nick if you like diabetes schizophrenia incontinence to name but a few...i just want to die most of the time lass...the only thing that keeps me going is my love for electronics and im a heavy smoker

anyway easy to say but keep you're chin up ehh, you either laugh or cry, what can you do.....im no good with things like this especially to the ladies

please get well and take care atb Reno

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Fatdog said:
Man, I really dislike reading posts like this. It is a reminder that old(er) age and human frailty catch us all at some point. Maybe staying off the cancer sticks and updating your diet will start to get you back on a healthier path.

Plus, enjoy music at every chance. A Harvard University study shows that music can be beneficial to good health. :dj-party: :breakdance: :stereo: :dog: :rock:
You're absolutely right with all you say, I expect thinks to wear out and get a bit dodgy these days but a syndrome? Really? Give me a break!

As for the music, I've listened to more in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last two months, the therapeutic value is enormous.

Rimmer36 said:
Sorry to read this Lass....my health is so bad i don't want to go into it, it's not appropriate here lol, ask St nick if you like diabetes schizophrenia incontinence to name but a few...i just want to die most of the time lass...the only thing that keeps me going is my love for electronics and im a heavy smoker

anyway easy to say but keep you're chin up ehh, you either laugh or cry, what can you do.....im no good with things like this especially to the ladies

please get well and take care atb Reno
Dear me, poor ol' you having to contend with that. I'm also not much good at all this illness lark so keeping my chin up is a priority. Music helps me greatly.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
MyOhMy said:
You're absolutely right with all you say, I expect thinks to wear out and get a bit dodgy these days but a syndrome? Really? Give me a break!

As for the music, I've listened to more in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last two months, the therapeutic value is enormous.
damn right, music is the key god bless lass :afro:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Sorry to hear of your health issues Christine. Smoking is one of those things that creeps up on you about the same time old age is doing its’ best to make life evermore difficult.

Although I never could be bothered taking up smoking (I’m too lazy), :-) my younger brother is a smoker and now has emphysema - has he given up? Nope. His addiction to Nicotine is strong.

Sounds like you need a dose of Aussie weather to make you feel better. Constant rain must drive a guy/gal around the twist. I’m glad you’ve given up the smokes. You’ve certainly got much more to live for and we certainly need you around here. So keep your spirits up and keep on :rock: ing.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks, guys. What surprised me most of all with the deterioration of my lungs from smoking was the increasing speed with which my lungs got worse, this caught me unaware. I suppose a smoker gets used to his or her 'lung state' and adapts to that level without realising it. Although this may seem like a steady and constant state of affairs, one day you'll notice it getting suddenly worse and wonder where your good lungs went - it's all a bit late now.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
So sorry to hear of your health problems Christine. Not easy to deal with. And if you’re constantly exhausted that just makes everything super hard. I’m lucky enough to have never liked smoking so never took it up thank goodness. I run the advice service for four Citizens Advice Bureau so see many many people in situations that are very upsetting and make me grateful for my relatively good health on an almost daily basis. So I’m very much aware of the effects of such health issues and I feel for you Christine I really do. Here’s hoping your health improves soon MOM :-)

And well done Nick for being a good guy

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Sad to read this, I hope the changes that you have made make a big difference, we really like having you around here so get yourself well. I gave up smoking a few years ago as I could feel myself having less effective lungs. It's surprising how quick they begin to improve

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Yes, the smoking/lungs issue was difficult enough to deal with before all the other nonsense, I'd adjusted my life to accommodate poor lungs and it was manageable even though difficult. Not having anything like a decent lung capacity meant I frequently choked when I breathed in saliva while sleeping or food backed up due to the other issues, it's not easy keeping calm in these situations.

At least I stopped smoking, I knew I would one day - you all know you can too, yes? I mean, after the next ciggie or even first thing tomorrow you'll stop - won't you?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Very glad to see you're committed to stayin' alive
Congrats for quitting, it's tough!
Patches, gum, cold turkey, Wellbutrin, never got past six months. Never thought I'd quit, but I finally did in 2010 with vapes, which I still use.
Whatever you do keep your head up and remember that we're all in this together and want to see you get better, you've been a beam of light here.
Turn up some blasters and live in the moment, wiggle it a little, feel alive because you are alive

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Hello MOM,

I'am just now reading your post and my heart sank!

I'm glad you quit smoking even though it took awhile. The lungs can heal up pretty fast so I hope yours can so you can get those treatments and surgeries your doctor is recommending. I'am a smoker been smoking since 17 yrs. old and I still do and it's one of the hardest thing to quit!!

I'm seriously looking into medical Marijuana the oil version. It is really showing some good. I know there are those that oppose it, but everyday I'm hearing more and more good things. In Israel there's a doctor Raphael Mechoulam that has been studying it since the 60's which stars in a Netflix documentary from Australia. He explains some of his research that he have conducted over the years and there other stories of people that been treated with it.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80223995

Something to consider MOM if no other avenues are helping!!

It took guts to make that decision on posting, but it sometimes helps especially when there are still good people out there that will stop and take a moment of their time to reflect on your life!!

My sincere best wishes and get well soon!

I respect on you being an atheist, but I will still say one for you!!

Dance and keep the music going!! :yes:

A little Funk from the man Prince!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeH05oyWPPk

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
So sorry to hear about the health condition Christine. I was a chain smoker till age 32.

I hope you find a good doc who can cure the problem! I always seek for a second opinion. I hope you feel better!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thank you All for you support and kind words. Once I stopped smoking I anticipated an improvement, even if slight, in my lung capacity/operation but this hasn't proven to be. I still feel my lungs deteriorating and tests have also shown this to be the case.

Just as I was getting used to the ol' lung situation and changing my lifestyle to accommodate this, along came all the other problems which appear to be much more immediate and serious. However, these are my current thoughts: I need two surgical procedures but can't be administered a general anaesthetic due to my lung condition so the surgery looks unlikely - this no general anaesthetic rule would equally apply to any other surgery requiring general anaesthetic and this is something to seriously consider.

Don'y worry, I'm not preaching about everyone quitting smoking, just asking you to think of the potential long term consequences. :yes: In the meantime I'll be playing music like there is no tomorrow and currently I'm OD'ing on old fashioned Delta Blues and lovin' it!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Christine, I'm sure it wasn't easy sharing such a personal part of your life on a public forum with a bunch of weirdo's. I have a lot of respect for you dealing with all this.

Like was stated above, maybe with a little rest and the fact that you're not smoking and have changed your diet, you will be able to take baby steps forward. If you can only walk 5 steps today, push for 6 steps at the end of next week and 7 for the week after. It's more than possible that this time next year you'll be in the best shape of the last 10 years.

I wish you only the best of luck moving forward. We're here if you ever want to chat it out, in the public forum or in PM's.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Sorry to hear all this. I agree with the idea to try australia. On a more generic level, find your way to a desert and see if you feel any better. Or, make a room into a desert with dehumidifiers and air purifiers. As for diet, there are fruits that help with lung issues. Check your vitamin d levels as well.. are you getting enough sunlight?