JVC RV-NB52B Kaboom will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Graw. Until a more detailed answer is posted by another member with Kaboom knowledge, I would say it certainly wouldn't hurt to try the fuse replacement. It would be the fastest and cheapest for sure - and probably the easiest. :yes:

Graw1930

Member (SA)
May 3, 2018
Thanks.

Well, I followed the person's advice but ran into trouble. There are wires (obviously) running from the right speaker that stop me from pulling the speaker out to look deeper inside unit. Am I supposed to detach those wires?

Actually, there might be a completely different way to get at the fuse. Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTsHxHPDWM

At the 2:30 mark you can the fuses. Unfortunately, he does not show how he opened the unit up. Does anyone know how he opened the unit?

Graw1930

Member (SA)
May 3, 2018
I have attached a photo of the disassembled unit. I cannot find the fuse. Does anyone know where it might be?

Attachments

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
You will probably need to go further in the disassembly. What is under that yellow board?

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
From looking at the drawings, there are two power supply fuses in this (your?) Kaboom, on, it appears, the power supply board. This is pretty standard for Boomboxes.

From looking at your photos, it looks like the power supply board is underneath the board on top. The power supply board will, naturally, be right behind where the AC input comes into the Boombox...usually. It's kind of easy to find because it's the one the power cord plugs into.

If you look at page 18 of the PDF, I believe, you will see that several connections on the power supply board are circles labeled "1" and "2".
These are the power and ground connections for the batteries (connectors CN602 & CN603), the transformer (connectors CN604 & CN605), and the main AC power input (connector CN606). At least, that's what's on the drawing.

Are you following me?

Do you see the two fuses? They are labeled F601 & F602. They are, on the drawing, inside a gray shaded box. You can't miss them. They also have a triangle with an exclamation point inside it next to them. All that means, as the note on the drawing says, is that they are critical for the prevention of fire or shock. These are the two fuses you should check. They are 4 amp, 125 volt fuses. The F601 & F602 numbers should be written on the circuit board. If not, you'll have to become a tech and follow the circuit paths, first from the positive side of Battery connector CN602 to fuse F602...and then back from pin 4 of the Board connector CN101 to fuse F601. Once you find them, check them. Put a meter to them and check continuity, or just put them up to the light and see if the filament inside is in one piece. If they are still good, they are not your problem. You'll need to work upstream, following the drawing, until you find the fault that has turned your masterpiece into a boat anchor.

You can do it. Just follow the drawing. Looks to be pretty standard for these power supplies, although I can't say for sure, as I haven't been inside my Kaboom in at least 5 years. At the very least, the fuses will almost always be close by where power enters the Boombox and are usually contained on the circuit board where the transformer is.

Let us know how it turns out.

Graw1930

Member (SA)
May 3, 2018
I regret that despite all your help, I was not able to find the fuse. I removed all the circuit boards completely and did not see it. Since it was a pain to remove them (the "heads" of the screws were hard to turn), I decided to just dispose of the unit. Maybe my model was a "fuse-less" model?

Anyway, I kept the speakers: two 20w / 7ohm and two 10w / 16ohm.

New question for the forum: if I built cabinets for these speakers, could I buy a "receiver" to power them? I know nothing about receivers/amplifiers.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.