• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,774 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

John Edward Lydle Jr., age 56, passed away on December 7, 2013 in Pompano Beach, FL.  His passion and love of cars was only surpassed by his love for his children, family, and friends.  He was also an avid collector, owning [perhaps] the largest walkman collection in the US.

Attached File  john-edward-lydle-jr.jpg   49.35K   2 downloads

Here is a great shot of his Akai walkman boombox:

firstmainpic.jpg

#2 docs

docs
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

Was very sorry about this news, I always enjoyed the vigour and excitement in John's posts.

#3 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

I remember him , his walkman collection was just massive and impressive. Peace out brother.
Love that akai.

#4 metalhandbag

metalhandbag
  • Members (SA)
  • 430 posts
  • Locationuk manchester

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

Another knowledgeable guy with a astonishing collection of Walkman RIP John .

#5 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

always remember the baby in his Av.....biggest collection of walkmans ever....Rip bro

#6 bklyn sound

bklyn sound
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:34 AM

Rest In Peace

#7 samovar

samovar
  • Members (SA)
  • 241 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

It was me who found out that he had passed away. By total accident: I had just posted on stereo2go in search of a few notable missing members. The idea was that of getting them back to business. I got answers from everybody except from John. So I googled his name and found out an obituary... you can imagine the shock! We had never chatted privately, but we had had a few witty exchanges on the forum... I remember one that was particularly funny. I had posted a screenshot from The Great Lebowsky, the one when the Dude is on his beloved carpet listening to ocean whale music on a cheap Sony Walkman. I asked the walkman crew to identify the model. Almost instantly, given the time lapse between Europe and the US, John posted the correct answer. It was an obscure Sony model, I daresay one of Sony's cheapish units... perfect for the character of the Dude of course, especially because the design was not devoid of a certain style. John posted a pic and a proud comment explaining that he was sure he owned one the very moment he read my post. He started searching for it, but the walkman was nowhere to be found. So he opened the cardboard boxes he kept in the garage, where his less precious units slept. It goes without saying that the Sony was in the last one he opened... and he ended his long comment by proudly posting a pic of his Great Lebowsky Walkman  :-)  Such a nice person, one who could write wonderful posts on his beloved Panasonic Walkmans while at the same time sending private messages full of wisdom to the newest newby who had barely an idea of what a walkman was... You won't be forgotten by the people who knew and appreciated you John. R.I.P.

#8 nikonfoo

nikonfoo
  • Members (SA)
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

It was me who found out that he had passed away. By total accident: I had just posted on stereo2go in search of a few notable missing members. The idea was that of getting them back to business. I got answers from everybody except from John. So I googled his name and found out an obituary... you can imagine the shock! We had never chatted privately, but we had had a few witty exchanges on the forum... I remember one that was particularly funny. I had posted a screenshot from The Great Lebowsky, the one when the Dude is on his beloved carpet listening to ocean whale music on a cheap Sony Walkman. I asked the walkman crew to identify the model. Almost instantly, given the time lapse between Europe and the US, John posted the correct answer. It was an obscure Sony model, I daresay one of Sony's cheapish units... perfect for the character of the Dude of course, especially because the design was not devoid of a certain style. John posted a pic and a proud comment explaining that he was sure he owned one the very moment he read my post. He started searching for it, but the walkman was nowhere to be found. So he opened the cardboard boxes he kept in the garage, where his less precious units slept. It goes without saying that the Sony was in the last one he opened... and he ended his long comment by proudly posting a pic of his Great Lebowsky Walkman  :-)  Such a nice person, one who could write wonderful posts on his beloved Panasonic Walkmans while at the same time sending private messages full of wisdom to the newest newby who had barely an idea of what a walkman was... You won't be forgotten by the people who knew and appreciated you John. R.I.P.

Great story this is how this tread helps these amazing people live on

not just a gee so sad

the great memories we all have to pass down

even if just one post that comes together like this

I can so see him in the garage searching that walkman and realizing that it now had some history that made it interesting

maybe not to him at the time but you and then after it may have got elevated to the house as a part of history

:clap:

#9 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,995 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:06 AM

a truly wonderful person in every way .

i was very lucky to have known john and his cars and his collections-

we lived only 35 miles apart

visited often ...always so informative and generous

#10 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

So sorry to hear this!😢

#11 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

It sucks when the collector passes on you know wherever they are in the great beyond they still miss that collection.

#12 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

a truly wonderful person in every way .

i was very lucky to have known john and his cars and his collections-

we lived only 35 miles apart

visited often ...always so informative and generous

sorry to read this Ira, must have been upsetting for you

#13 Ken

Ken
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationBremerton, WA, USA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:46 AM

...Almost instantly, given the time lapse between Europe and the US, John posted the correct answer. It was an obscure Sony model, I daresay one of Sony's cheapish units... perfect for the character of the Dude of course, especially because the design was not devoid of a certain style. John posted a pic and a proud comment explaining that he was sure he owned one the very moment he read my post. He started searching for it, but the walkman was nowhere to be found. So he opened the cardboard boxes he kept in the garage, where his less precious units slept. It goes without saying that the Sony was in the last one he opened... and he ended his long comment by proudly posting a pic of his Great Lebowsky Walkman 

I've been there.  Going through a 100 or so Boomboxes in the basement, just to find the one with the function on it, that you've never seen or heard...just to be able to chime in and say "Yeah, you're exactly right, guys.  I agree...that one is just so like that."

It's what binds us together.  He was a brother.

RIP.

#14 ford93

ford93
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationFormer New Yorker

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

So sorry about his passing.

R.I.P.

#15 oldskool69

oldskool69
  • Moderators
  • 6,791 posts
  • Location'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

:-/  :sadno:  :sad:

#16 Jay9

Jay9
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:38 AM

This rare kindness of and to a truly good person makes me proud to be a part of this community. My sincerest condolences to all who know and love him and I am positive he is well.