Sony METAL XR Type IV X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I picked these up from www.tapeheadcity.com. They have a MASSIVE brand new BLANKS section including more of these.

Soon, I am going to start recording some mix tapes with the goal of HIGHEST possible recording quality.

I have been sending my high end decks through the repair tech's shop and I am now to the point where I can utilize these high end tapes!

METAL SETTING! :rock:

IMG_20180428_090956.jpg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That's a nice score, Chris! $12 for a Sony Type IV cassette isn't that bad of a price. I could spend four times that amount driving to all the thrift shops around here and still come up empty-handed. Those Maxell XL-II cassettes are really nice too.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Fatdog said:
That's a nice score, Chris! $12 for a Sony Type IV cassette isn't that bad of a price. I could spend four times that amount driving to all the thrift shops around here and still come up empty-handed. Those Maxell XL-II cassettes are really nice too.
I thought that was reasonable, certainly below eBay prices for type iv.

Charlie over at Tapeheadcity runs a pretty good operation and they are constantly getting in new old stock artist releases from back in the day as well as brand new releases. I didn't even know bands were releasing new music on cassette, but damn it, they are!

I have bought plenty of used cassettes as well and they are in very good condition.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
If you haven't already, I would join one of the hifi forums and ask which tape works best with the deck you have. Seems like every deck prefers a different tape, though I don't quite understand it.

I recall someone claiming that a certain Sony metal tape deteriorates and leaves deposits on the head, but I don't remember which specific Sony tape he was talking about.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I love the maxell ud xl 2 , for me these are a good cassette for boosted recording levels . they are really an all around great cassette.

I will say Sony makes the best sounding cassette adapter I ever heard.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
If you haven't already, I would join one of the hifi forums and ask which tape works best with the deck you have. Seems like every deck prefers a different tape, though I don't quite understand it.

I recall someone claiming that a certain Sony metal tape deteriorates and leaves deposits on the head, but I don't remember which specific Sony tape he was talking about.
Interesting, never heard that before. Well, I won't be making boombox specific tapes. Hopefully they will sound good in everything and not leave a mess inside

JVC Floyd said:
I love the maxell ud xl 2 , for me these are a good cassette for boosted recording levels . they are really an all around great cassette.

I will say Sony makes the best sounding cassette adapter I ever heard.
I have a ton of those ud's as well, good stuff

metalhandbag said:
Good tapes I have a few .
Your here because it says METAL on the package :lol: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:

Interesting, never heard that before. Well, I won't be making boombox specific tapes. Hopefully they will sound good in everything and not leave a mess inside
I meant home decks. If it's a high-end home deck it can be calibrated for different brands of tape.

Anyway, you're good --- http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=45686

Status
Not open for further replies.