• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:16 AM

I picked these up from www.tapeheadcity.com. They have a MASSIVE brand new BLANKS section including more of these.

Soon, I am going to start recording some mix tapes with the goal of HIGHEST possible recording quality.

I have been sending my high end decks through the repair tech's shop and I am now to the point where I can utilize these high end tapes!

METAL SETTING!  :rock:

Attached File  IMG_20180428_090956.jpg   110.38K   4 downloads

#2 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,804 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

That's a nice score, Chris!  $12 for a Sony Type IV cassette isn't that bad of a price.  I could spend four times that amount driving to all the thrift shops around here and still come up empty-handed.  Those Maxell XL-II cassettes are really nice too.

#3 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

That's a nice score, Chris!  $12 for a Sony Type IV cassette isn't that bad of a price.  I could spend four times that amount driving to all the thrift shops around here and still come up empty-handed.  Those Maxell XL-II cassettes are really nice too.

I thought that was reasonable, certainly below eBay prices for type iv.

Charlie over at Tapeheadcity runs a pretty good operation and they are constantly getting in new old stock artist releases from back in the day as well as brand new releases. I didn't even know bands were releasing new music on cassette, but damn it, they are!

I have bought plenty of used cassettes as well and they are in very good condition.

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,580 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

If you haven't already, I would join one of the hifi forums and ask which tape works best with the deck you have. Seems like every deck prefers a different tape, though I don't quite understand it.

I recall someone claiming that a certain Sony metal tape deteriorates and leaves deposits on the head, but I don't remember which specific Sony tape he was talking about.

#5 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

I love the maxell ud xl 2 , for me these are a good cassette for boosted recording levels . they are really an all around great cassette.

I will say Sony makes the best sounding cassette adapter I ever heard.

#6 metalhandbag

metalhandbag
  • Members (SA)
  • 433 posts
  • Locationuk manchester

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Good tapes I have a few .

#7 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

If you haven't already, I would join one of the hifi forums and ask which tape works best with the deck you have. Seems like every deck prefers a different tape, though I don't quite understand it.

I recall someone claiming that a certain Sony metal tape deteriorates and leaves deposits on the head, but I don't remember which specific Sony tape he was talking about.

Interesting, never heard that before. Well, I won't be making boombox specific tapes. Hopefully they will sound good in everything and not leave a mess inside

I love the maxell ud xl 2 , for me these are a good cassette for boosted recording levels . they are really an all around great cassette.

I will say Sony makes the best sounding cassette adapter I ever heard.

I have a ton of those ud's as well, good stuff

Good tapes I have a few .

Your here because it says METAL on the package  :lol:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:

#8 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,580 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

Interesting, never heard that before. Well, I won't be making boombox specific tapes. Hopefully they will sound good in everything and not leave a mess inside

I meant home decks. If it's a high-end home deck it can be calibrated for different brands of tape.

Anyway, you're good --- http://www.tapeheads...ead.php?t=45686

#9 ford93

ford93
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationFormer New Yorker

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:04 AM

For boomboxes you have your tape type switch but it really don't matter unless you're a die hard audio enthusiast. Like me that always used TDK MA-R cassettes on my boomers.

Home tape decks that have calibration functions works best for recording on different tape type I, II, III, IV formulations.

http://www.tapeheads...read.php?t=2999

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony, metal, xr, type iv