Question about this section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Do all modern Boomboxes with Bluetooth capabilities go in this section.....even if they're not just a Bluetooth speaker?

For example : Lasonic i931BT & DJ Tech - Both have (usable) FM Stereo Radio and do not require Bluetooth to listen to it but have Bluetooth capabilities.

And so...the Lasonic i931x even though it is a modern Boombox and not vintage would not go here because it does not have Bluetooth capabilities..Correct?

Thanks for clearing this up for me :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I'm pretty much thinking the same as Jimmy - if it has a tape deck, it's probably more of a real boombox than just a "speaker" box.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I was thinking if the unit is ONLY a BT speaker, it should be in the bluetooth section.

If it has real boombox features like a radio tuner and/or CD/Cassette AND bluetooth, then it would be somewhere in the boombox section.

I could go either way, but you guys are probably right. If it has bluetooth, it should be here including the bumpboxx, DJ Tech, and Lasonics i931bt's.

Superduper

Member (SA)
To me, THIS is still a boombox with bluetooth capability. It has bluetooth but still, it looks like a boombox, it is an all-in-one device, it uses conventional and readily available batteries, it is self sufficient (does not require any other form of audio source to work out of the box). It has it's own volume control, it's own tone controls etc.
i931btq-white.jpg

To me, THIS is a bluetooth speaker: It has speakers, and it has bluetooth and it looks nothing like a boombox. IF it has a tuner, it's an afterthought. It is INTENDED to be used as bluetooth extension of another device.
diamondboxx.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah but then it becomes a subjective decision. One person could say "I don't care if it doesn't have a tape deck, I still call it a boombox".

I propose putting ALL BT boxes into the BT section. Even if they have a tape deck like the GPO Brooklyn. It's the only way to be fair and consistent.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Well, that's ok by me then. I only mentioned the Lasonic being a boombox because it has always been known as a boombox and was produced years before anything such as a bluetooth speaker was even in the drawing board stages. Only until recently when devices that for all practical purposes, started to even look like a speaker(s) with handle did it become like wait a darn minute here... that's a bridge too far. At that point, it's clearly a different product, with different intention.

However, you are right Reli. Once we start to need a checkoff list to determine what is what, then maybe we just categorize them as bluetooth or not. Simple. But if I see that Lasonic 931bt on the regular forum, I probably won't be complaining.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Much appreciated everyone. Any modern box with Bluetooth capabilities will go in this section. That simplifies it :-)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.