Hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boombiking

Member (SA)
Apr 8, 2018
Hey y'all! As you can tell from my username, I enjoy blasting away on my bike as I make my way through and around my city (almost always gray and rainy, but we do get two months of unadulterated sunshine every summer, which is when I have the most boombiking fun!).

While I did have—like many or most of us here—some early boombox models back in the day, for the last few years I've been blasting a variety of bluetooth speakers on my bike, with a Sony hi-res walkman as source. As those of you who have already seen the couple of posts I've made will be aware, I just got an Aiwa Exos-9, and I'm excitedly looking forward to blasting it on rides when the weather gets better! I do not have a car, and live in a very quiet building, and so really, my only opportunity (in a long, long time!) to enjoy full-spectrum music of my choice at full volume on anything but headphones is and will be when I'm out with the Aiwa.

Unlike most of you gathered here, it seems, I have no particular attachment to the look or sound of 70s and 80s boomboxes (I do not collect or even own any of these, and wouldn't have the space to do so even if I wanted to...), and am not too much concerned with labels and with whether object A is or is not a boombox or is "only a bluetooth speaker." You are free to say the E9 is only a big bluetooth speaker, and I won't argue with you; however, in terms of my interests and concerns, the E9 is functionally equivalent to a boombox, in that it can elicit the same joys—and arouse the same antagonisms, no doubt—as the ghetto blasters of yore (which I would agree cannot really be said of most of the bluetooth speakers out there, given their sonic limitations). In any case, when I am out on the bike with the thing it will be in a shrouded condition, and how it actually looks will be irrelevant. (I, for one, am actually glad it has a relatively nondescript appearance, as anything that drew attention to itself more than it does would really clash with the decor in my living room, which is where my E9 resides most of the time.)

At this point, you might be wondering, if you're not terribly interested in classic boomboxes, why are you joining the board? (It's not like the Exos-9 is *that* big a topic of discussion here...) That's a reasonable question, and in response I can only answer that with this new acquisition—and the extreme sonic opportunities it makes available—I may be finding myself in situations where ethical dilemmas relating to publicly-shared music may arise, and it might be useful to have the membership here as a sounding board for any questions/concerns I may be confronted with. No doubt, many of you have had to deal with difficult people in the neighborhood, etc., and I may be able to learn a thing or two from y'all about how to deal with them fairly and graciously. Such, anyway, is my hope!

Anyway, y'all seem like a pleasant, well-mannered bunch of people, with a true passion for the subject at hand here, so that in itself should be sufficient reason to join!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Welcome to the forum. At the end of the day we love these things for many reasons, but for me a massive part of this is the music and the freedom of it being portable. So if you love that then you’re very welcome here :-)

Boombiking

Member (SA)
Apr 8, 2018
Thanks for the "welcomes" folks! While the hardware aspect may not be my main thing, I'm probably on the same page as many of you when it comes to "the freedom of it being portable" (as Northerner put it) and just enjoying quality sound outdoors (since I can only do so at reasonable levels indoors with headphones on...).

Turned out to be a sunny day today, so at the last minute decided to go for my second cruise with the E9. Took the advice of another member on here to raise the mid + high EQ for outdoor use, and that helped give the music more clarity since much of the time there's no reflections from hard surfaces that enhance the higher end naturally. I was a little surprised that some tracks, even at what seemed to be max. volume, did not sound as loud as I would have expected, given all that I've read. This probably has more to do with my Sony player than with the E9, though. Even though I can connect the Sony to the E9 via aptX bluetooth protocol, which permits volume adjustment (previous bluetooth devices I've used did not, so volume was output at a fixed level), I suspect it's still considerably lower than using the line out would be, since that has always been the case before. Every single speaker line in connection in the past has crapped out after a few months of use on the bike, and since I don't want to lose that functionality on the Aiwa, I'm not even gonna start connecting the Sony to the E9 that way. Anyway, for most tracks the E9 is quite sufficiently loud ! :)

One bummer is that in more densely-populated areas (and so more signals traveling through the air), the aptX connection becomes less stable (this was never an issue with standard bluetooth), and sometimes the volume level will decrease automatically to "0" on the player. Usually moving the Sony player to my back pocket, where there are no obstructions between it and the E9, will succeed in stabilizing the connection. Fortunately the controls on my version of the hi-res Walkman are all manual, so I can to a certain extent use them even without seeing them.

These minor issues aside, it was just great to finally hear the music as it was created to be heard: LOUD with lots of bass that you can FEEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.