Noob with a bumpboxx UpRock V1-General questions for anyone with one

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanm

Member (SA)
Apr 3, 2018
Hi there,

Reaching out to get some feedback about this unit now that I have one and figured this would be the place to go. Hoping someone with some experience may be able to help.

I've had the bumpboxx Uprock V1 a few days and noticed a few things, maybe I'm doing something wrong... or perhaps there's something I can do better:

1. Battery Life: Is anyone actually getting close to 8 hours? I was barely able to get about 2 hours of use at 70 % volume, thru iPhone on bluetooth. I was thinking perhaps the BT drained it quicker? I'm going to run another test tomorrow with the phone thru Aux input to see if this helps. But curious to know what others are getting. Also, does anyone notice a sound difference when the unit is on battery or when it's plugged in? For some reason it seems to sound better when it's plugged in. But maybe that's just me.

2. Shut Down: after about 2 hours of playtime thru bluetooth the unit started shutting off at points in the song when there was a large demand(Deep Bass). Turning down the volume would help it play longer, but anytime I turned up the volume on the bumpboxx or thru my device, the bumpboxx would shut off. When I plugged the speaker in, I did not notice this. I could go full tilt on all adjustments and it wouldn't shut off. But as soon as I unplugged the power, it would shut off again at loud points in the song.

3. Leaking Air: I think by now it's been well documented that the unit leaks air thru the control panel. Curious to know how people have fixed this. It's actually leaking thru the connectors, not just around the panel.

4. Stereo: Heard a rumor that people were converting these to stereo? Any luck here?

5. EQ: Am I to understand this does not work with a BT connection or thru Aux cord? Only with the USB or MicroUSB?

Thanks in advance for commenting!

Nate

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Sorry to hear of your ‘Bumpboxx issues’. Much has been said about the deficiencies of the previous Bumpboxx models.

People complained of leaky cabinets, poor battery life, BT range and FM radio performance issues. People also complained about the mono output. What did Bumpboxx do to rectify these issues??.................

Back to your Uprock issues - most of them stem from the battery and its’ inability to maintain a sufficient voltage to allow the amp to work at max output. BTW, the BT receiver uses very little power so I don’t think that would be causing the issue.

The battery may be faulty or the charging circuitry. It could also possibly be a case of Bumpboxx cutting costs by using an undersized battery. 2 hours at 70% output isn’t a sufficient runtime IMHO for most outdoor situations.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
BT modules don't consume a lot to even faze that battery life. I have tested some to only draw 0.022 amps while it is transmitting.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I'm glad my 1st gen didn't have these issues. 2 years later I can't get the battery to die. I usually kick the bucket and retire for the evening. EQ works through the BT on my model.

I was the first to notice mono operation but I also was the first to notice that you could record onto SD and USB. This wasn't even in the manual at the time.

I am waiting on a 8" sub stereo blaster with a good FM tuner, 12 hour battery life and the ability to record etc.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The DJ Tech can also record, but I don't bother because the recordings are only 128 kbps max

I hope they can resolve these issues for you. For what those things cost they should be bending over backwards for their customers.

Hearing all the bad reviews and problems stopped me from getting one of these things. I only like the older versions that actually have that classic boombox look. The new monster just looks like some sort of PA speaker to me.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Reli said:
The DJ Tech can also record, but I don't bother because the recordings are only 128 kbps max
Very true Reli. Would've been so nice to have at least 192kbps. 128 only works in a pinch but when played on anything with clarity you can really tell its bottom end quality. Bumpboxx recordings are also only 128

Status
Not open for further replies.