Hitachi TRK-7620E 3D7 Line-In + General Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrock

Member (SA)
Apr 1, 2018
Hello All!

Having recently picked up this boombox for what I think was a great price, I have been having some great fun with it. I have however been left with a couple of questions.

I would quite like to have the option to use it as an amp and speaker for RCA or 3.5mm devices, but am having trouble doing so. It has a set of RCA jacks on the rear labeled "Line In" and "Line Out" along with two 3.5mm inputs labeled "Mic". There is no DIN socket. After some playing around with an RCA cables I managed to play my turntable through the boombox by pressing play on the tape deck, but the sound was very quiet and only could be heard with the volume on full, at which point the static was too loud.I don't see a dedicated switch to select line in, and so I don't understand how this works. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation.

What is RIF? There is a switch that changes from "A" to "B" that is titled RIF. I can't seem to find anywhere what this setting is.

I am powering the device with mains courtesy of a hard wired plug whose lead comes out the battery compartment. Is this original? I see the standard 12v socket for a transformer plug to the right hand side of the device and to me it seems odd to have both of these power options.

If anyone knows of an online operating manual of this device, I would be really interested. I have found repair and service manuals for similar devices, but not this one.

Thanks in advance of any responses. I really appreciate the help. I am completely new to this kind of technology, and sorry about the inevitable mistakes I will have made in my descriptions.

Tom

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
When you don't have real LINE IN, you must insert empty cassette and push REC + PLAY buttons together.
Try to connect smartphone with 3.5 mm to RCA to LINE IN.
This LINE IN is for CD input or else.
To listen sound from Phono you must use separate Phono preamp.

tomrock

Member (SA)
Apr 1, 2018
Brilliant, thanks.

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
No true line in on that model. The AC cable that’s fixed inside the battery compartment is original. The separate 12v input is for DC sources ie car etc
Ok. Ah, that makes sense. It just seemed funny to me. Quite interestingly my plug was PAT tested, perhaps it was being used at a workplace until recently. Cheers!

goodman said:
When you don't have real LINE IN, you must insert empty cassette and push REC + PLAY buttons together.
Try to connect smartphone with 3.5 mm to RCA to LINE IN.
This LINE IN is for CD input or else.
To listen sound from Phono you must use separate Phono preamp.
I see! I tried using an empty cassette and it worked pretty well. Not quite as loud as the system can do (the little LED indicator peaked at about 1/3 of its maximum) but worked well with both my turntable and using a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

I should've said, my turntable is not very old and supposed to be "mini" (Bush MTT1) and so has a built in Phono preamp, which as far as I understand means I can plug it's RCA outputs straight into whatever amp I want to use.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT:

tomrock said:
(the little LED indicator peaked at about 1/3 of its maximum)
I can now play through the system using all of it's potential. The RCA to 3.5mm cable I was using was a fairly intermittent thing I had rigged up, I believe the fault was a result of that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.